[Bad Memory] Servo motor impaired

For all non-gameplay/tech Wasteland 1 talk; sharing memories, discussing the setting, and general banter

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Snake Vargas
Novice

[Bad Memory] Servo motor impaired

Post by Snake Vargas » March 6th, 2012, 12:32 am

I'd probably slap myself on the forehead today but I never succeeded in rebuilding that robot. Max was it? That made me a very frustrated 12-year old.

zebe
Novice

Re: Servo motor impaired

Post by zebe » March 7th, 2012, 5:41 pm

Haha! I ran into this a couple of times through the game as well. Never enough servo motors.

Wild_Bill_711
Scholar

Post by Wild_Bill_711 » March 16th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Always found all of Max's 'parts' in the Sewers... but read several 'complaints' about not enough Servo Motors ! Strongly suspect the one that was 'missed' is with a bunch of the Centron Deluxe bikers, in a room just east of the "Lab" !!!

Aiydee
Novice

Post by Aiydee » March 18th, 2012, 10:17 pm

Known bug.. There was a work around.. Can't remember what it was.. But things had to be done in a VERY particular way/order.

If you did, then all was ok.

Dave

CormagMacD
Initiate

Post by CormagMacD » March 20th, 2012, 6:55 am

Occasionally found a spare servo motor in a broken toaster, though can't remember which one.

Celtic927
Explorer

Post by Celtic927 » March 31st, 2012, 11:43 am

Yeah there's an extra in Stage Coach...I think I got stuck back in 80s missing something....too
-CHris
Cooking up Blood Sausage since 1988.

wren
Novice

Post by wren » April 4th, 2012, 6:01 am

Yup, had to be done in a certain order. Haha, I restarted the game once because of it.

ad1066
Scholar

Post by ad1066 » April 4th, 2012, 7:23 am

I've never had a problem getting the parts, but then again I always made a point of completely cleaning out the sewers.

-- Ben
-----[Ben Morgan]-----
ad1066 AT gmail you know the rest
Ben's Wasteland Walkthrough

Coran
Initiate

Post by Coran » May 9th, 2012, 4:34 pm

Ugh, this was the most frustrating one for me too. I played through Wasteland several times when I was a kid. Sometimes there were enough servo motors in the sewers, sometimes there weren't. It wasn't a matter of not being thorough enough, they just weren't in the right loot every time. I never could figure out the reason. I remember that I could sometimes save the game by using the one in the Quartz hotel (instead of fixing that poor girl's wheelchair), but sometimes even that extra one wasn't enough... new game.

ad1066
Scholar

Post by ad1066 » May 10th, 2012, 1:28 pm

Odd, I've never had that problem with the PC version.

-- Ben
-----[Ben Morgan]-----
ad1066 AT gmail you know the rest
Ben's Wasteland Walkthrough

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » May 10th, 2012, 7:05 pm

I never did either. Both PC and C64 always had enough for me.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Kromiv
Initiate

Post by Kromiv » May 20th, 2012, 3:29 pm

I am replaying Wasteland again right now and ran into the same problem last night. I went through the sewers and only came up with 3 servo motors (4 is needed to rebuild Max). I went back throughout the entire sewer area over and and over and I couldnt find the 4th one anywhere.
Luckily I made a copy of the Wasteland game folder before I entered the sewers, so I restored that folder and went through again. This time I found all 4 of the servo motors and was able to put Max together. I went through the same exact areas that I did the first time. So I guess there is a bug.
I dont know if it matters, but I'm playing it from the Interplay 10th anniversary cd.

Wild_Bill_711
Scholar

Post by Wild_Bill_711 » June 2nd, 2012, 3:55 pm

Howdy Kromiv,

That 'story' about a shortage of Servo Motors is a complete myth !!! Most players ARE finding all 4 necessary motors ! Strongly suspect the one motor they're 'missing' is in an area/room East of the "Lab" itself !

If only they'd be sure they checked ALL areas of the Sewers !!!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » June 2nd, 2012, 8:02 pm

Even if you don't find all four motors, there's a spare back in the Stagecoach Inn, in one of the locked cabinets.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

ImmortalBArd
Initiate

Post by ImmortalBArd » August 3rd, 2012, 1:39 pm

My buddy Erron G. and I loved this game. We played it endlessly often getting stuck in certain areas. This was one of them. We finally bought a walkthrough at the bookstore that told us how to repair Max after finding all of his components. For some reason, we thought he was going to join our team once we rebuilt him. After all that trouble, imagine a 12-year-old's face when all he did was give us some advice (or whatever). It was like finding out there was no Santa Clause. That kind of dissappointment helped me to take my first step into manhood. :cry:

Oh yeah...and I remember trying to take on Scorpotron at point blank range with my laser pistol. Got owned. (Snake Vargas lets loose blazing electric death for 0 points of damage). I tried it again later with the proton axe you get from one of the brothers at the Servants of the Mushroom Cloud. Got owned.

One last memory: I remember screwing up the trajectory of the howitzer and killing some poor girl in a hamburger stand. Her last words were, "...you want fries with that?" Oops.

LtMurkyShadow
Initiate

Re: [Bad Memory] Servo motor impaired

Post by LtMurkyShadow » April 9th, 2014, 12:02 pm

I've finally come around playing Wasteland again, the integrated paragraphs from the new version are nice touch.
But guess where I am and what I am missing. A servo motor! :D But I got an extra circuit board. I already gave
the servo motor from the inn to the lady in the wheel chair. Maybe you can kill her to get it back, although
that's quiet a rough work-around. There are some obscure bugs that aren't always triggered. I got lucky
until now, not a bad streak. :)
Lester More, shot by a .44, no Les, no more.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 9th, 2014, 10:55 pm

The sewers do indeed have enough servo motors, you just have to hunt around sometimes. There's also a spare motor in the Stagecoach in, in the housekeeping section. It's either in one of the cabinets or in the loot from the maids.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » September 1st, 2014, 12:45 pm

Followed all the left walls. Still short one servo motor.
And no, it's not east of the lab.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 1st, 2014, 9:11 pm

Let's see... did you cross the little pit to the west of the map? There might be one in that area. I think there's also one north of the river (dig through the wall). There should be one in the little spot to the east of the lab, and one in the lab, I think. It's been awhile since I hunted them all down. I might do that when I get home and toss up some screen grabs for you.

Or you could just steal the one in Quartz.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » September 2nd, 2014, 11:00 pm

I did complete it with the one in Quartz, but the nice guy in me wants to repair the wheelchair, and besides, I'm curious. Mind mucking about with it a bit?