Please help tell others what Wasteland was

For all non-gameplay/tech Wasteland 1 talk; sharing memories, discussing the setting, and general banter

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Please help tell others what Wasteland was

Post by Drool » November 6th, 2013, 10:01 pm

paultakeda wrote:CTRL-ALT-DEL was far more than it is today. How MS appropriated it for Windows is an impressive forced culture shift in and of itself.
It's a pretty interesting story.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

dark4sorrow
Initiate

Post by dark4sorrow » November 8th, 2013, 8:44 pm

Looking back at all of the games that I have ever played, Wasteland 1 is one of those games that leaves me feeling nostalgic for those gaming days of old. There are a few games, that I played right off of the shelf directly after they were released, so along with Wizardry 1, Might and Magic 1, Bard's Tale 1, and a few others, Wasteland was definitely among that group of games.

I can't even remember how many hours at a time I used to play Wasteland and how many times that I went back and replayed it again and again over the years. I would get so sucked into the world, the story, and building up my characters, that I would seriously forget about the real world and just play and play and play.

It was ahead of its time and it didn't pull any punches. I died quite often and even though I was angry, I still came back for more. I liked that there were such a wide range of skills and such a wide range of weapons as well. I had a lot of fun using different skills and different weapons and those two things were a big reason for me liking the game. Also, the story and the background to the entire game was something that just sucked me in entirely. I guess I have a thing for dystopian games like this, and considering this was one of the first, it got me hooked.

I happen to have just played my first Wasteland game in years (via Steam) and my entire party died within the first 30 minutes. Yeah, that brings back memories alright. :P

Montgomery Markland
Acolyte

Post by Montgomery Markland » November 9th, 2013, 10:53 am

dark4sorrow wrote:I happen to have just played my first Wasteland game in years (via Steam) and my entire party died within the first 30 minutes. Yeah, that brings back memories alright. :P
This is one of my favorite things about Wasteland 1, the Bard's Tales, etc.

As a kid, I remember looking at the back of the box of Bard's Tale III and seeing characters with 600+ hit points and being flabbergasted. HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?

disheveled
Initiate

Post by disheveled » October 14th, 2016, 10:40 am

It it good to know. Thank you for information and I greet you:)