[Bad Memory] Vegas sewers

For all non-gameplay/tech Wasteland 1 talk; sharing memories, discussing the setting, and general banter

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

CaptainPatch
Grandmaster

[Bad Memory] Vegas sewers

Post by CaptainPatch » April 13th, 2012, 11:09 pm

This isn't a memory, as it is happening _right now_ while I'm playing the game. It's that damn river of sewage. EVERYBODY in the party has Swim 5, yet none of them can get across the stream without getting sucked under and getting a case of Sewer Rot. And with Sewer Rot (as with pretty much ALL diseases), while you have it, you can't heal any Hit Points. So naturally, when the party encounters robots, they're getting nickled-and-dimed to death as each encounter whittles away a few more more Hit Points.

It wouldn't be a problem at all if you could Use Swim to advance the party one space, then do it again. But the program chooses to _immediately_ start sliding the party towards the exit. Even with Macro-keys, there isn't enough time to hit a key before you've been sucked under. I get stuck hitting an arrow key like mad, to no avail. AFTER I've got the Sewer Rot and can finish crossing, but that just postpones the inevitable

The irony is that usually when a PC improves a Skill it's a Good Thing. In this case though, when the "So-and-so improved their Swim Skill", the damn window covers where the party is in the stream. Do they need to go South, or are they already in the chute about to be sucked under, so you have to go West first. How far West to get out of the chute? You don't _know_ because that window sits right on the important portion of the map. And the only way to close the window is to hit Enter -- and in that microsecond, the stream sweeps you two or three squares closer to your doom. And it seems that just about every time I've almost cleared the stream, up pops that damn improvement announcement again.

The game is rigged, I tell ya. It was all a dastardly plot to induce nervous breakdowns.
Last edited by CaptainPatch on May 11th, 2014, 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Vegas sewers

Post by Drool » April 13th, 2012, 11:32 pm

When you enter the water, the game rolls. It's not a matter of being too slow, it's a matter of bad luck. Or, in the case of the sewers, lack of skill. No, seriously, I usually don't try to get across that without a rope until everyone's at a 6 or 7 Swim, and even then, I only do it if I've forgotten to grab a rope.

Of course, I usually powerlevel Swim by going all the way north and hopping in the river and riding it down to the bay. Yeah, it beats the crap out of your party, but with it only doing 1 or 2 damage each time, you don't run the risk of being seriously wounded or worse. And it just amuses me that a bunch of Rangers would learn to swim by body-surfing down a river.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

CaptainPatch
Grandmaster

Post by CaptainPatch » April 14th, 2012, 12:03 am

I think I figured out the optimal approach:

This is one of the times you're supposed to Disband the party members and send them across one at a time. As a party of 7, if any ONE of them slips, it slides the entire party towards the exit. But if just ONE is crossing Using Swim 5 or 6, he _should_ be able to quickly recover his footing and resume his passage.

I'll get back and tell you how that works out later.
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » April 14th, 2012, 1:23 am

I never tried that, but it could work. Like I said, I usually just used a rope.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Shax
Initiate

Post by Shax » April 16th, 2012, 1:57 am

Drool wrote:I never tried that, but it could work. Like I said, I usually just used a rope.
Yup, rope is the way to go.

AgentTate
Scholar

Post by AgentTate » April 26th, 2012, 7:44 am

My problem with the sewers was never having enough ammo. Get halfway in. Run out of ammo. Too beat up to make it out alive...

TheLastOutlaw
Initiate

Post by TheLastOutlaw » May 1st, 2012, 7:05 pm

AgentTate wrote:My problem with the sewers was never having enough ammo. Get halfway in. Run out of ammo. Too beat up to make it out alive...
This is why you field a party of ax murderers. :twisted:
Stupidity got us into this, why can't it get us out?

AgentTate
Scholar

Post by AgentTate » May 2nd, 2012, 5:16 am

TheLastOutlaw wrote:
AgentTate wrote:My problem with the sewers was never having enough ammo. Get halfway in. Run out of ammo. Too beat up to make it out alive...
This is why you field a party of ax murderers. :twisted:
I did learn eventually that bringing in at least one person with a proton ax was absolutely essential.

john irwin finster
Acolyte

Post by john irwin finster » May 7th, 2012, 5:28 pm

This is actually an example of why I loved this game. Sure, you could try swimming across and get sick/killed... or you could use a rope. Solving little puzzles like this is what kept things interesting.

Kromiv
Initiate

Post by Kromiv » May 20th, 2012, 3:49 pm

I am also replaying the game right now as well, and just finished the Vegas sewers. I haven't played this far through since 88, so I really didn't remember anything of this place. I was having the same problem you were of getting across the water. I did eventually figure out that you could use the rope to cross the first part of the river (going north to south). But over further to the east you have to go north to cross the river again to get the android head. I was stuck on that for a while too. I did make it across the river eventually. But as I was exploring further, I discovered a path in the wall that you could knock out with a pick axe that will open a tunnel between the north and south sides of the river.
So really, you can go through the whole sewers without getting in the water at all.

Gillsing
Scholar

Post by Gillsing » May 22nd, 2012, 3:22 pm

Regarding the first crossing in the sewers, the back of the C64 'box' showed a screenshot where a rope had been used, so that helped me figure it out after much involuntary swimming. Then I got stuck down there and took a long break. Didn't get back into the game for a while, but when I did, I finally found those wall sections that could be blasted with TNT. So I managed to finish the game just in time to switch to the Amiga 500.

WhereisBaoDur
Novice

Re: [Bad Memory] Vegas sewers

Post by WhereisBaoDur » November 27th, 2013, 1:12 pm

Bloody sewers. It took me hours to finish them. Too many robots, too soon. Seriously that was the worst part of the game for me, and it's a chokepoint!! You don't get the best items until after it. (and i thought that Citadel was a breeze!). I love the fact that it's reflected in the guide when you read about sleeper base, though.

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Re: [Bad Memory] Vegas sewers

Post by paultakeda » January 14th, 2014, 11:06 pm

And yet the sewers end up being the story you tell as if you were a vet having a drink in a bar with a crowd of hangers on listening to your every word.

:lol:

This is why those who played Wasteland wanted a sequel: to tell more stories like that.

otherunicorn
Scholar

Post by otherunicorn » May 11th, 2014, 2:57 am

Gillsing wrote:Regarding the first crossing in the sewers, the back of the C64 'box' showed a screenshot where a rope had been used, so that helped me figure it out after much involuntary swimming. Then I got stuck down there and took a long break. Didn't get back into the game for a while, but when I did, I finally found those wall sections that could be blasted with TNT. So I managed to finish the game just in time to switch to the Amiga 500.
If I recall correctly, a good old shovel or crowbar were enough to go through the walls. With enough strength, you could PUNCH through them.