Wasteland Soundtrack

For all non-gameplay/tech Wasteland 1 talk; sharing memories, discussing the setting, and general banter

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

AWAC
Scholar

Wasteland Soundtrack

Post by AWAC » April 5th, 2015, 7:10 pm

As you know Edwin Montgomery made a soundtrack to go with the original Wasteland (which backers got for free)How do I use the songs for each area and settlement so that they start when I am at them? Thank you for the help! :D
Change the weapon size

Zombra
Global Moderator

Re: Wasteland Soundtrack

Post by Zombra » April 6th, 2015, 1:15 am

... Make sure music is turned on and go to those areas? :?:

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » April 6th, 2015, 8:54 am

Because of the way Wasteland set up its world and distinctive maps we couldn't really find a reliable method to play songs for each area, so instead it just plays them all. There's no real way to change that, other than manually playing the song of the area you're in.
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

AWAC
Scholar

Post by AWAC » April 6th, 2015, 9:06 am

Hmmm Well I know it plays the theme at the beginning and just loops so.... :!: Yeah I want to put the original Wasteland soundtrack into the game so.....
Change the weapon size

sear
Developer

Post by sear » April 6th, 2015, 9:24 am

We tried a number of solutions to play certain songs in certain situations, but they didn't really pan out.

Our edits to the game (voice acting, new art for portraits, etc.) are not a result of actually reading/editing the original game code. Instead, we use a screen-reader program in combination with DOSBox to actually check the individual frame you are seeing on-screen. So when you see the text and hear voice-over for a paragraph in the game, that is a result of the screen reader spotting "Read page X" in the text log, not actually checking the game code itself.

We tried to leverage the same tech to play music in specific locations; however, this ultimately became too cumbersome. We already check for dozens of individual frames, portraits, keywords, etc. to see if one matches a known state; adding dozens upon dozens more things to look for (i.e. every single possible entry/exit position for a location as well as on the world map) would have ruined performance and would have upped complexity significantly.

So in short: your best option is probably to disable the in-game music and use your favorite music player to play the songs manually instead. ;)

AWAC
Scholar

Post by AWAC » April 6th, 2015, 12:59 pm

:o :( okay. cries.. :cry:
Change the weapon size