Who actually really played Wasteland?

For all non-gameplay/tech Wasteland 1 talk; sharing memories, discussing the setting, and general banter

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Knightshade
Novice

Re: Who actually really played Wasteland?

Post by Knightshade » January 1st, 2014, 6:24 pm

C64 baby! even better than Vic20 and tape drives. Tape drives! ARGGGG!!!!!!!!!! And now my PHONE is more powerfull than ............ pretty much anything that`s 40 years old.

MJFERN
Acolyte

Post by MJFERN » January 2nd, 2014, 2:15 pm

Knightshade wrote:C64 baby! even better than Vic20 and tape drives. Tape drives! ARGGGG!!!!!!!!!! And now my PHONE is more powerfull than ............ pretty much anything that`s 40 years old.
aw, come on give your phone credit, even if it's a flip it is probably more powerful than anything 20 years old.

FatherDagon
Initiate

Post by FatherDagon » January 2nd, 2014, 4:43 pm

Ran through it countless times on at least 3 different C64s back in the day - first time was with my dad when I was 8 years old, in between sessions of working on programming an AD&D character generator in BASIC (with shopping off the gear tables, no less!). Picked up the Interplay Anniversary CD set when that came out to finally have a PC version to play, and I still run through it again every year or two. My most recent run was as a clonepack of 7 versions of the same megaranger - using NPCs as evasion shields while power-leveling my single 'real' ranger, making a sneak-run into Vegas to get the Proton Axe way early, and then tearing things up until I could get to the Sleeper Base and crank out another six brethren from the same super-powered gene base. "I think I'm a clone now - cuz every chromosome is a hand-me-down.."

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » January 3rd, 2014, 9:55 am

I feel like I should be bowing to the superior nerd, Father Dagon. Did the character generator use a random number generator for ability scores? If so, which rolling method?

Bodyhunter
Initiate

Post by Bodyhunter » January 20th, 2014, 4:36 am

Lanatir wrote:Ok, since i cant do a poll here ill just ask in a normal thread. I get the feeling that the majority here never really played Wasteland (and with played i mean dont start it up once in Dosbox or Emulator and go like 'cant get over crappy gfx and cumbersome menu, what a sucky game!').

I'd really like to know...who played it? Did You finish it?
Hey there!

Wow, there are times i start to feel....old. But Yes, i played Wasteland. On my good old C64, and until a few years ago, i still played it from time to time!
I had a double set of disks to "replace" played locations with fresh data and to collect things like Laser weapons and other stuff more than once and i tried every single possible location, died in radiation while searching for new and hidden spots and learned to fly a helicopter.
I even went through Finster's head, but that disturbed me a little bit! :?

There where several old Computers in the game where you could see something about Wasteland 2...and now it really is happening! wow...

Wasteland is part of my younger years, like Ultima 4, Pirates and Elite and i love the Beta Version from the start!

Best regards and greetings from germany!

Noble
Acolyte

Post by Noble » February 14th, 2014, 7:27 am

I was far too young to play it when it was released, and didn't really hear about it until a little while before the Kickstarter aired. After I backed Wasteland 2, I figured I'd play the first game and since there was no way for me to play it legally, I did it off DoS box.

I loved it, despite all the barriers between what gaming was like then and is now, I pushed through and beat it (albeit I did have to use a walkthrough in some parts) with my rangers. Since it was actually released off GOG and Steam, I tried to play it again since I got it free from InXile, but it's just too much of a bother to open my notepad and find the missing paragraphs and deal with some of the bugged maps.

Good game, but sadly the story for Wasteland is over for me, at least until the sequel finally gets out the door, lol. I've been waiting for another strategy game, and the fact that it's so close is killing me... 2014: the future is here.

Arravis
Initiate

Post by Arravis » March 17th, 2014, 10:27 pm

Another C-64 guy here... played it when it was first released (I was a teenager at the time) and many times since.
Good stuff for an old geezer.

otherunicorn
Scholar

Post by otherunicorn » May 11th, 2014, 2:32 am

This Supreme Jerk (multiple times) really played it. I knew just about every trick in the game, and a few that shouldn't have been, like pulling an engine out of the fourth broken toaster, and having the table too full of crumbs for you to repair any more toasters. If something could be played several ways, I played it through all of those ways. I explored EVERY building in the game, and every square of map.

To give you some idea of my dedication to Post-Apoc. games, my current time on Fallout NV is 1343 hours with 100% of the challenges unlocked, a similar amount of time on FO3. FO2 and FO go proportionally as much time spent on them as their complexity allowed.

Fortunately, I am really only interested in these "wasteland' type games, because if I was in to any other games with the same intensity, there wouldn't be any time left to live. Oh - the Homeworld series. I was just as involved playing that.

OldManGamer
Initiate

Post by OldManGamer » July 23rd, 2014, 1:48 pm

Played it on my C128-D. Forgot how many times to see if I could get thru with my origional rangers. Also loved the first mechcommander and the SSI D&D games (all of them). Hated the code wheel tho...

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » July 25th, 2014, 1:08 pm

OldManGamer wrote:Played it on my C128-D. Forgot how many times to see if I could get thru with my origional rangers. Also loved the first mechcommander and the SSI D&D games (all of them). Hated the code wheel tho...
I was a big MechCommander fan as well. I must have played MechCommander at least 10 times, and the expansion 3 or 4. I loved how there was no saving allowed during a mission. It really heightened the tension of the game. And when you successfully completed a mission with all your pilots still in their Mechs and with some good salvage, it felt like a real accomplishment.

I also really enjoyed MechCommander 2, and played it as many times as well as several mods for that game. It's a real shame that this series died. It was the cRPG of the Mech world, and it had a lot going for it.

As for Wasteland, I haven't played it yet. Well, that is to say I have it installed and have toyed around with it for a few minutes, but haven't committed to a playthrough yet. I expect that I will at some point. I enjoy MyNameIsNotLilly's Let's Play of it quite a bit.

TheHarpoMarxist
Explorer

Post by TheHarpoMarxist » July 25th, 2014, 1:15 pm

I played it, beat it, and loved it. I remember spending hours on character creation and enjoying every second :).
The HarpoMarxist
www.the-widowers.com

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » July 25th, 2014, 7:24 pm

TheHarpoMarxist wrote:I played it, beat it, and loved it. I remember spending hours on character creation and enjoying every second :).
One of the best parts of WL for me was the exploration, especially in places like Needles and Vegas, almost every building you could enter, granted most of them were abandoned/empty, but it gave such a "real" feeling to the world.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

palker
Acolyte

Post by palker » July 26th, 2014, 12:25 am

I was 1 year old in 1988 and did not have real computer till 2004 so my answer is no. Played Fallout 1 and 2 only. And those i bought on GoG about 2 or 3 years back.

DesertKnight
Initiate

Post by DesertKnight » August 14th, 2014, 5:00 am

Nope.

Only Fallout 2 and 1 when 2 came out. Tactics when that came out (which I liked, and still do). I still play them [along with New Vegas] often.

I have WL1 in Steam that I got for free. Perhaps I should give it a go until 2 comes out (holding off on the Beta).

Karatheon
Initiate

Post by Karatheon » September 5th, 2014, 2:58 am

Played and beat in on C-64 a number of times back in the late eighties. Have since then played and beaten it a couple of times on pc also. Playthrough on pc was much easier since I remembered passwords, maps and solutions even though it had passed some fifteen to twenty years between playthroughs. :)

otherunicorn
Scholar

Post by otherunicorn » September 11th, 2014, 1:08 am

Karatheon wrote:Played and beat in on C-64 a number of times back in the late eighties. Have since then played and beaten it a couple of times on pc also. Playthrough on pc was much easier since I remembered passwords, maps and solutions even though it had passed some fifteen to twenty years between playthroughs. :)
Except for the password for the Darwin gun shop - which seemed to have changed...

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » September 11th, 2014, 10:12 pm

I believe that was either bugged or a typo. I usually just killed the guards for the money anyway.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Thasic
Initiate

Post by Thasic » September 15th, 2014, 7:24 pm

Back in the day this was the greatest CRPG around! Nothing could compare. It had graphics (sort of) a great story (still true) and even a little replayability. We didn't have Skyrim and The Witcher type of games. Before Wasteland 1 there were pretty much only text based games like Zork.

Yeah I played it and I loved it too.
Deficio es non en Bene

otherunicorn
Scholar

Post by otherunicorn » September 29th, 2014, 8:41 pm

Thasic wrote:Back in the day this was the greatest CRPG around! Nothing could compare. It had graphics (sort of) a great story (still true) and even a little replayability. We didn't have Skyrim and The Witcher type of games. Before Wasteland 1 there were pretty much only text based games like Zork.

Yeah I played it and I loved it too.
You are right about it being the greatest. My brother worked at a games importer, so I often got to try out games without having to buy them. None of them measured up. It was the only true sandbox game, at the time, and years ahead of anyone inventing the term!

Heartland
Initiate

Post by Heartland » September 29th, 2014, 11:49 pm

Back in '88 I was having my 14th birthday. Having reached such a high level of experience and knowledge, a descision was reached regarding the extravagant gifts to request for my birthday, after discussions with various friends. Naturally, I would wish for at least one computer game for my C64, and by unanimous vote among those concerned, the selected game was...

...Bard's Tale II.

My dad got assigned the quest to secure a copy. Unfortunately (or not), he did a lot of travelling, and pressed for time ended up visiting an unfamiliar store in another city. No Bard's Tale II. Horror and panic ensues. Store keeper points out "a similar game, but much cooler, in the future, like" or something to that effect. Dad, out of time and options, takes a chance.

A bit ashamed to admit I was dissapointed at first, but both me and my friends soon realized the awesomeness that the four 5,25" floppies contained. We eventually played through the game, three of us together, with a character each. And we never did find another game with the same amount of polish, humour and clever story.

So yeah, I played it back then. :-)