Who actually really played Wasteland?

For all non-gameplay/tech Wasteland 1 talk; sharing memories, discussing the setting, and general banter

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Ronin73
Master

Re: Who actually really played Wasteland?

Post by Ronin73 » March 10th, 2013, 10:35 pm

It's still quite possible to get Wasteland running on a C64 emulator, although it's slow like the old days, you have to manually swap between the 4 play disks (roms for the emulator) , which does raise the question if the C64 version can be a viable choice for inclusion with WL2, with it being a bit tedious?

I can still get a chuckle watching the scroll lock key flash like the old C64 disk drive used to :geek:
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 10th, 2013, 10:57 pm

Well, BT gave us the Apple versions of the game. BT3 had... 3 or 4 discs. Frankly, I'd be willing to put up with virtually juggling 4 discs for the C64 version.

Just... please. Not the Apple version.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

Son of Max
Adventurer

Post by Son of Max » March 11th, 2013, 3:47 am

Drool wrote:Well, BT gave us the Apple versions of the game. BT3 had... 3 or 4 discs. Frankly, I'd be willing to put up with virtually juggling 4 discs for the C64 version.

Just... please. Not the Apple version.
Hey!

Some of us were quite happy with the Apple version.

Always kinda wished they'd ported Wasteland for Atari ST and Amiga though.

The sound and graphics would have been incredible.

Would've beat the hell out of PC, that's for sure.
25 years and it's finally here...

ad1066
Scholar

Post by ad1066 » March 11th, 2013, 7:51 am

Drool wrote:To be fair, that was a pretty robust ending in '88. There was quite a bit of text, and they actually wrapped things up. Many games back then had little more than "a winrar is you; many combolations elisagirth" or the like. I think it was actually a bit more text than Bard's Tale 3 had, even though BT3 was vastly more difficult and time consuming (of course, at least in BT3 you became gods).

Also, dang, I've been playing the PC version so much, I forgot how much better the C64 one was. I hope the version they bundle with WL2 is the C64 one.
The original retail PC version of Wasteland had an option on the install disks to restart the game with the same characters, minus all their stuff. When the game was re-released in the Interplay collection, someone screwed up and put the already-installed files on the CD, and the 'install' just copied the files over to the hard drive.

The first game I played that I felt had a really tuly proper ending was Star Control II. After you won the final battle there was like 15 minutes worth of cutscenes with the various alien races, showing you how everyone ended up.

-- Ben
-----[Ben Morgan]-----
ad1066 AT gmail you know the rest
Ben's Wasteland Walkthrough

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 11th, 2013, 9:46 pm

Son of Max wrote:Some of us were quite happy with the Apple version.
Perhaps, but the palette was horrid. It looks fine with Bard's Tale, but the Apple version of Wasteland was clearly the least of the three.
Always kinda wished they'd ported Wasteland for Atari ST and Amiga though.

Well, yes. The Amiga was a beast.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

su6oxone
Initiate

Post by su6oxone » April 11th, 2013, 11:08 pm

I played the original WL back in the 80s around when it came out. I remember becoming enthralled as a young kid when I saw the WL box at a computer game store (EB) at a mall with the awesome bird's eye view cover art. I never finished the game but loved it but found it too difficult at the time (running out of ammo and getting wasted by enemies in the early-mid stages). I always hoped that they would make a sequel (and I loved Fallout 1/2), I can't believe it's finally happening. :D

Son of Max
Adventurer

Post by Son of Max » April 23rd, 2013, 5:01 am

Drool wrote:
Son of Max wrote:Some of us were quite happy with the Apple version.
Perhaps, but the palette was horrid. It looks fine with Bard's Tale, but the Apple version of Wasteland was clearly the least of the three.
True, but that's because Apple IIs (and their clones) used the Motorola 6849 (if I remember correctly) for their displays, and while it was an incredibly useful chip for building enhanced sound and graphics cards later on, it was soooo not meant to be a graphics chip.

Hell, I had an Atari 800XL and I've always wondered what the Bards Tale games and Wasteland would have looked like programmed for the ANTIC/GTIA tandem. I've seen stuff people have done with those chips and they were far more capable than anyone realized back then. POKEY would have at least beat Apple in sound, but it wasn't going to match SID.

Now, if TI had been smart, they would have developed a sweet sound and graphics card for Apple II machines using improved TMS9918A's for graphics and displays and improved TMS9919's for sound instead of wasting resources and time building the TI99 series computers. One look and listen to a Sega Master System or Genesis and you get an idea of just how solid a foundation for world beating graphics and sound chips TI had really developed, as those machines used customized, enhanced versions of those chips.

If TI had done it themselves, they could have made a killing providing Apple users with great sound and graphics to go along with their vastly overpriced computers.
Drool wrote:
Son of Max wrote:Always kinda wished they'd ported Wasteland for Atari ST and Amiga though.

Well, yes. The Amiga was a beast.
ST was just about the same, really. I've seen BT on both and can't tell the difference.

Haven't heard the differences, and there might be some, but all I've seen are screen shots, so...

All I had to do was see the Amiga version of Dragon Wars and I became convinced that Amiga and ST should have gotten the full BT trilogy and Wasteland.

The Amiga version of Dragon Wars is one of the most gorgeous looking games of the era, by a mile.
25 years and it's finally here...

SomeDoug
Initiate

Post by SomeDoug » May 18th, 2013, 10:33 am

Played the snot out of my Commodore 64 version back in the late 80s. Using the restart character option, by friend and I were seeing who could build a team of the highest leveled rangers. I do feel kinda bad for running with a party of 3 durable PC's and one expendable PC. Each time I would start over, I'd use the expendable to get equipment for my equipment stripped players (and then some). Remember the perilous trips down the Colorado River leveling up swimming skills and running up hills in Needles leveling the climb skills. And the mid maze was great; almost as great as the feeling of beating the "unbeatable" foe in there. I think I still have the original floppies around somewhere.

I tried Fountain of Dreams when I found it in a game dump bin at a Kay Bee Toy Store some years later, but it just wasn't as good. Killer Klowns on the Isle of Florida just didn't cut it for me.

Since then, I've played Fallout 1, 2, 3, and New Vegas. Fallout 1 was alright, but the timer killed my desire to explore. Fallout 2 was a massive time sink for me. (Esp after mastering quick save with an early trip down to San fran for weapons and armor gained via 5 finger discount). Fallout 3, well it was Fallout 3. Fallout New Vegas (imho) was the real Fallout 3 as far as story is concerned (let's not forget the robo-scorpions and blood sausage from OWB).

So when I saw that there was going to be a real Wasteland 2, I had to open up my wallet and say here, please take this!

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » May 18th, 2013, 9:02 pm

SomeDoug wrote:(let's not forget the robo-scorpions and blood sausage from OWB).
Or the Thin Red Paste and Proton Axe. OWB was just a love letter to Wasteland. And one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've ever had.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Thamin_88
Initiate

Post by Thamin_88 » July 10th, 2013, 10:13 pm

My brother and I teamed up on the original Wasteland. Spent a lot of hours on it, but never actually completed it. Still, really looking forward to trying this one out.

Tried today's emulator versions, most of them are too buggy.

NapalmNooly
Initiate

Post by NapalmNooly » July 30th, 2013, 4:41 pm

I first played Wasteland on the Commodore 64 back in either 1988 or 1989. The first time through I didn't finish but came back around to complete the entire game some time later. I remember having to get the Wasteland Survival Guide at a computer store located at Sunnyvale Town Center. I no longer remember what I got stuck on but there was some item or quest I couldn't figure out. I remember sitting down to a Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese meal and going thru the guide at the McDonalds at the mall.

I ended up loaning the game to my dad who also finished it if I recall correctly. He was so addicted to the game initially he played from the night before to the next morning in one sitting! I remember asking "did you even sleep?" Haha.

Since then I've picked up the game a few times using a copy I got from CGW and play for a few days but never really get too far. The game is harder than I remember or mabye my patience is less. Even thought it does show its age its still entertaining at least for those of use who can handle older graphics.

On a side note I still play Ultima V from time to time as well. It seems to have aged a little bit better and is also one of my favorite games of all time despite not finishing it.

Tuchaka
Initiate

Post by Tuchaka » July 31st, 2013, 8:31 am

I played it till my head exploded like a blood sausage

MJFERN
Acolyte

Post by MJFERN » July 31st, 2013, 2:04 pm

I played! On a C64 and on various PC's. My last playthrough was about two years ago. And I cannot for the life of me remember where my 3.5"'s (somewhere along the line I ported the 5.25" disks to 3.5" from my PC originals which I wish I still had) went!! Now I won't be able to play again until release.

I will say that I spent entirely too many hours in Finster's menagerie with the proton axe killing wolves to level every toon to supreme jerk.

EDIT:

HOLY CHRISTMAS! I hit the motherlode! Was helping the pops with a computer snafu, and realized, his backup drive is one of my old ones. Started scrolling through file folders and voila! A backup of the 3.5" backups I made of my 5 1/4" originals!!! I am back in the Wasteland baby!

Hellpop664
Initiate

Post by Hellpop664 » September 26th, 2013, 9:23 am

I played this back on my C64 and finished it several times. Played the IBM version years later too. Still, after all these years, it is one of my all-time favorites and have never stopped hoping for a true sequel. Finally seeing it realized is all the reason I needed to contribute. Just wish I could have afforded to contribute more!

Monsoon
Initiate

Post by Monsoon » November 8th, 2013, 9:45 pm

I first played it around the time it came out, and yes I finished it. I remember very quickly discovering how I could create a character send his equipment to another, delete...rinse, repeat. I also remember a "certain' spot where I could make a crap ton of exp and level my characters insanely quick and easily.

But that game was the greatest, easily one of my top 10 if not top 5 games of all time. My buddy (who also was hooked on the game) and I still quote lines from this game, just like we do from our favourite movies.

Montgomery Markland
Acolyte

Post by Montgomery Markland » November 9th, 2013, 10:37 am

Gizmo wrote:
Lanatir wrote:If you did like destiny knight i suggest you really give Bards Tale 3 Thief of Fate a try. It is an improvement in every aspect. And the storyline is absolutely epic.
That's a good endorsement. 8-)
BT3 is awesome.

Gizmo
Grandmaster

Post by Gizmo » November 13th, 2013, 5:34 pm

Montgomery Markland wrote:
Gizmo wrote:
Lanatir wrote:If you did like destiny knight i suggest you really give Bards Tale 3 Thief of Fate a try. It is an improvement in every aspect. And the storyline is absolutely epic.
That's a good endorsement. 8-)
BT3 is awesome.
I bought Inxile's Bard's Tale way back, the first time around, because it had BT1, 2 & 3 in the box. 8-)

Odd and sad as hell that I can run BT1, 2, and 3; but not the recent Bard's Tale; [who runs 32 bit windows anymore(?), and if they do, who has a decent 3d accelerator in the machine?]

* But I do have plans on the back-burner, to make a refurbished Dell XP or 2K box with an AGP Voodoo, or possibly a GeForce 5900 FX; so I will get to run it again... I never finished the game.

Goobaroo
Initiate

Post by Goobaroo » November 22nd, 2013, 9:41 am

I originally played Wasteland on my http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_(computer). The best was going up to the Vault in the Guardian Citadel and keeping a backup copy of disk 2 handy. You could go up the stairs, grab all the loot, go back down stairs, put in your backup of disk 2 and then go back up the stairs. Infinite power armour. Fantastic.

TheCycoONE
Initiate

Post by TheCycoONE » December 4th, 2013, 11:15 am

Have to admit I never played it. Born in 1984 I suppose I could be excused, but I grew up with a C64 and love some other CRPGs of the era, mainly Ultima 4 and 5.

I backed WL2 at a low tier because they promised Linux support, and there wasn't a ton of other kick starters by big name people like Brian Fargo back then. I wanted to put my money where my mouth was as far as promoting Linux game development.

Anyway, what I've seen so far from the videos for WL2 is way beyond my expectations. If I knew it was going to be that good I would have backed for more.

As for WL1 I plan to give it a fair chance before starting WL2, though my backlog is huge so I'm not in any hurry :-)

jdamien75
Initiate

Post by jdamien75 » December 17th, 2013, 6:44 am

I first played Wasteland on my Tandy 1000 8088 (which had a whopping 20MB HDD) with a green monochrome monitor.

Love the Fallout series. I'm even part of a special random encounter in Fallout 2. If you killed "Shadow Dancer" from the "Unwashed Villagers attacking a spammer" encounter, then you killed me you evil horrible person. :lol:

And no, I don't look like Kevin Bacon like the mouse-over description says. Probably more like Dan Akroyd...