Who actually really played Wasteland?

For all non-gameplay/tech Wasteland 1 talk; sharing memories, discussing the setting, and general banter

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Re: Who actually really played Wasteland?

Post by paultakeda » July 18th, 2012, 8:53 am

Elexa wrote:/snip
I salute you, sir; that was eloquently and nostalgically stated. You are the target audience for this game and no matter the disagreements in whatever details noted across the forums what you describe is the essence of the game we look forward to getting revived in Wasteland 2.

Cheers.

ffordesoon
Forum Moderator

Post by ffordesoon » July 18th, 2012, 11:58 am

"Sir"? I got the impression from her (his?) post that Elexa was a woman.

I'm not trying to embarrass her/him by making it an issue, just saying. :)
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.

Elexa
Novice

Post by Elexa » July 18th, 2012, 1:23 pm

i am a woman. "my man is ex-USMC"... the name "Elexa" is derived from "Priestess Elexa"... the avatar, done in the style of a stereotypical Dominatrix, has boobs... and don't worry 'bout it, i don't think there is a soul here capable of embarrassing me. lol

most people judge a good game based on graphics, or immersion, or controls... i base it on "how much does it affect me in the way Wasteland affected me?"...ie, is it an actual, life-changing, experience that i will think fondly of for the next 25 years? or is it a waste of time designed to make me smile for a few hours?
Stare Death in the eyes. Make him blink.

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » July 18th, 2012, 1:48 pm

ffordesoon wrote:"Sir"? I got the impression from her (his?) post that Elexa was a woman.

I'm not trying to embarrass her/him by making it an issue, just saying. :)
I use sir without gender online (something I found really charming on Star Trek whenever Kirk called Yeoman Rand "mister"). However, I hope Elexa takes no offense at my usage.

ffordesoon
Forum Moderator

Post by ffordesoon » July 18th, 2012, 4:40 pm

@Elexa:

Then we'll get along just fine. :)

@paultakeda:

I was wondering if that was what you were doing. Well, fair enough.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.
As a poster, I speak only for myself. PM me if you have any problems with the way I moderate.

My Tumblr, if you're into that.

Elexa
Novice

Post by Elexa » July 18th, 2012, 5:09 pm

paultakeda wrote: I use sir without gender online (something I found really charming on Star Trek whenever Kirk called Yeoman Rand "mister"). However, I hope Elexa takes no offense at my usage.
None taken... again, not possible to offend, embarrass, inflame, troll, etc, etc. me. i *will* get angry if i'm called late for dinner or if made to wear a yellow sun dress with an amazon cut, though, so please avoid those for future reference. ^_~
Stare Death in the eyes. Make him blink.

Geist1
Initiate

Post by Geist1 » August 2nd, 2012, 4:41 pm

I played it back in the day on my Commodore 128. I have the Interplay Anthology, but I just couldn't bring myself to play it on the PC. Not because of the difference, but because I missed my old party. LOL!

PlayRanger
Initiate

Post by PlayRanger » August 14th, 2012, 5:32 pm

I was ten years old when I first played it back in the mid 80s, on my Commodore (the 128-D was a cool upgrade I was eventually able to get, and I still have it :)) and as if it weren't a mind-blowing game already, being something outside my usual age-range put it straight into the Cool Zone!

So Wasteland really and actually changed my life, both teaching me what the bar for awesome is, and inspiring me in my own creative pursuits.

Still love Wasteland, still love it's C-64-era graphics, still love the smart writing and the fun tactical gameplay and the cool settings and the rich wit of its irreverent humor.

Wasteland rocks!

pid
Initiate

Post by pid » August 19th, 2012, 2:08 am

Fallout 2D top-down was a huge game for me, but Wasteland still beat it 'cause it "did more" with "less technology". As a kid running out of ammo was a HUGE concern, I actually learned saving up stuff for later use IRL that way :D

immagikman
Initiate

Post by immagikman » August 30th, 2012, 3:47 pm

Sadly due to Military Obligations I was out of the country from 82 to 90 and missed this game due to limited State side connections... I did manage to get Fallout though and would have loved to have had Wasteland for the Apple platform.

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » August 31st, 2012, 11:56 am

immagikman wrote:Sadly due to Military Obligations I was out of the country from 82 to 90 and missed this game due to limited State side connections... I did manage to get Fallout though and would have loved to have had Wasteland for the Apple platform.
Luckily, you get to play Wasteland when Wasteland 2 is released as it will be included. So, yay!

Revolucas
Explorer

Post by Revolucas » October 31st, 2012, 9:47 pm

Born in '85' so I didn't get a chance to play it in it's prime. I have played it a dozen times later on in life but I never did get a chance to finish the game. Though fun, once spoiled by newer generation graphics and UI it's really hard to get into it especially since your imagination goes to hell when you get older.

I enjoyed Fallout 1 & 2 immensely as a preteen; The first PC games I've ever bought. The world seemed so vast and I felt like I could do anything I wanted. It was like being inside a book and everything you did told it's own story and had it's own consequences. It's just so hard to explain those feelings of epicness. I feel bad for any generation who didn't get to experience those games when graphics and voice overs didn't matter in a game. I just want those old childhood feelings again, that's why I support Wasteland 2. Perhaps it too can make another 12 year old boy experience those feelings I had when I first played Fallout.

Nyxalinth
Scholar

Post by Nyxalinth » November 9th, 2012, 8:49 am

I played Wasteland back in 1988-1989, on our C64. My now-ex hubby had bought it for himself because he was into all things post-apocalyptic. He later abandoned it, saying it was "too unrealistic." He was more into the grittier, nastier side of the genre. So I picked it up and I started playing, and loved it :D I finished it, and have played it twice since. I'm probably going to play it again soon.

The Tallest
Adventurer

Post by The Tallest » February 7th, 2013, 10:17 am

Played it back in 88/89 on a Commodore 64, I don't recall every beating it. I was young and had a lot of fun just making characters and seeing what kind of trouble I can get into. But, it stuck with me for ever.
I am a member of Macho Yintit's Society for Pantsless Landsharks.
David Ngo wrote: There are two kinds of people: sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep.

McDoney
Initiate

Post by McDoney » February 12th, 2013, 1:36 am

I played it two or three times on my C64. When the Interplay 10th Anniversary CD came out I again played it at least two times on my PC. So I guess I played and beat it at least four times.
PS: I really want the Silver Strangler to return:
Striking, faster than lightning
several skeletton skulled Silver Strangler appear from ambush!

Valar_Omega
Scholar

Post by Valar_Omega » February 28th, 2013, 5:07 pm

I never had the pleasure to play it so Wasteland 2 will be my first look into this world. I am backing this project because I love old game, and have loved the games the guys working on this have made. Loved fallout 2 and BG2(oddly, also did not play the first of them until recently...well guess it is a bit of a tradition with me). I also looking forward to what Kickstarter might provide to the indie gaming market and I think projects like this and Eternity(as well as many other old school gamer makers come back through this) as a good way to help support that. Not exactly sure what I was looking for in Wasteland 2(even though I was pulled here due to my love of Fallout 2 I know this will be a different game).
"I will not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
I will face my fear.
I will let it pass through me.
Where the fear has gone,
there shall be nothing.
Only I will remain." --Dune by Frank Herbert

Ghouli
Initiate

Post by Ghouli » March 10th, 2013, 10:20 am

Never got to play Wasteland when it was published, since I was 2-year-old infant at the time... :D Fallout 2 was my first touch at the post apocalyptic wasteland, and it still holds first place in my top ten games of all times. I didn't get to play Fallout 1 until few years ago, and although being great, for me it didn't surpass the second game. Wasteland has long been on my games to play list, but it wasn't until few weeks ago that I was ready to look past the graphics and UI.

And I don't regret moment of it. It took me almost two months, but today I finally finished Commodore 64 version of this game . Combat system was one which I enjoyed alot, it just rocks! I have always loved turn based strategy games, and this system was just absolutely lovely. Random encounters did sometimes give me a headache. Compared to newer games (such as Fallout 1 & 2 :D), "quests" and dialog were a little downer, but there was *something* to this game that kept me playing and expanding the story in my head after I had turned off my trusty C-64 and crawled to bed. Game was pretty damn hard at the beginning, I spent most of my time figuring out what I was even supposed to do, and eg how the hell do you sit down :D It was fun though, and I'm probably going to play it again later on PC. Mind Maze was the part that I enjoyed the most, along with dealings with Servants of the Mushroom Cloud.

But. The ending. WTF was that? Downer much? I was expecting something epic but all I got was couple of lines of text :(

Dat proof :D

Ending

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » March 10th, 2013, 2:46 pm

Ghouli wrote: But. The ending. WTF was that? Downer much? I was expecting something epic but all I got was couple of lines of text :(
Back then there really wasn't much else. Nobody really did fancy cutscenes. Really the only thing missing that other games of it's time offered was some cool music, but since Wasteland had none to speak of, it wasn't a real surprise that it was absent.

I actually remember loving those screenshots at the time, but I always thought the real reward was radioing in and getting all those skill points for your Rangers. Even though the main storyline was over the C-64 version had that great restart option with your existing Rangers, which the PC version only got via a player made program.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » March 10th, 2013, 8:40 pm

To be fair, that was a pretty robust ending in '88. There was quite a bit of text, and they actually wrapped things up. Many games back then had little more than "a winrar is you; many combolations elisagirth" or the like. I think it was actually a bit more text than Bard's Tale 3 had, even though BT3 was vastly more difficult and time consuming (of course, at least in BT3 you became gods).

Also, dang, I've been playing the PC version so much, I forgot how much better the C64 one was. I hope the version they bundle with WL2 is the C64 one.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Post by paultakeda » March 10th, 2013, 9:52 pm

Drool wrote:Also, dang, I've been playing the PC version so much, I forgot how much better the C64 one was. I hope the version they bundle with WL2 is the C64 one.
Having only played the PC version, I felt cheated when I saw the C64 videos. :evil: