An idea for update.

For all non-gameplay/tech Wasteland 1 talk; sharing memories, discussing the setting, and general banter

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Rzarkrusz Rowa
Acolyte

An idea for update.

Post by Rzarkrusz Rowa » December 8th, 2017, 8:49 pm

Something that would reduce the amount of random encounters to something reasonably expectable in a PnP RPG campaign. There's really no need to pad the game with encounters nowadays. There's plenty of games to play and they are cheap, so there's no reason for such artificial "value added" to be used.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: An idea for update.

Post by Drool » December 8th, 2017, 8:59 pm

The random encounters in the original Wasteland aren't that excessive. Further, going back and changing around things like that thirty years after the fact would be a terrible idea.

It'd be like adding dewbacks or making Greedo shoot first. Only a fool would do that.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Rzarkrusz Rowa
Acolyte

Post by Rzarkrusz Rowa » December 8th, 2017, 10:14 pm

Drool wrote:
December 8th, 2017, 8:59 pm
The random encounters in the original Wasteland aren't that excessive.
They are very excessive. Many people have quit playing the game for that reason.

Taking into account that you did this, it's hard to consider your opinion on that topic reasonable.
Drool wrote:
December 8th, 2017, 8:59 pm
Further, going back and changing around things like that thirty years after the fact would be a terrible idea.

It'd be like adding dewbacks or making Greedo shoot first. Only a fool would do that.
No. Also, it would be a massive improvement because the only reason for atrocious game design like that was selling games with limited amount of actual content for equivalent of today's $100. Games had to last a lot to justify that price.
Wasteland: The Original Classic costs, like $6. There's no reason to pretend it's much larger than it is. Especially with lots of other games to play, work, college, whatever.

Also, how it would harm you, if there would be an option to reduce the amount of random encounters?

Anyway, it's ridiculous that you're talking about changing things when you're playing with graphics filters.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 9th, 2017, 6:05 pm

Rzarkrusz Rowa wrote:
December 8th, 2017, 10:14 pm
They are very excessive. Many people have quit playing the game for that reason.
<<citation needed>>
Taking into account that you did this, it's hard to consider your opinion on that topic reasonable.
Er... that had nothing to do with random encounters. As I explained later in that thread:

"probably closer to 15 hours, but yeah. I used a few coins to wedge the left arrow down while I went to work, and then again when I went to bed."

It was just walking against a rock in Crumb's basement. The PC version of using a rubberband on your XBox controller.
Wasteland: The Original Classic costs, like $6. There's no reason to pretend it's much larger than it is. Especially with lots of other games to play, work, college, whatever.
I don't have 60 hours on the Steam version (and literally hundreds of playthroughs before it was on Steam) because there's random encounters. It's because the game has replayability.
Also, how it would harm you, if there would be an option to reduce the amount of random encounters?
...you didn't say that in your first post?
Anyway, it's ridiculous that you're talking about changing things when you're playing with graphics filters.
That screenshot was taken when the game was first released on Steam with the uprez'd graphics as it was, you know, four years ago. I don't actually use those graphics on playthroughs any more as I prefer the old animated .gifs.
Alwa nasci korliri das.