What is your favorite area of the game?

Discussing the story & setting of Wasteland 2. Beware spoilers. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Aroddo
Acolyte

Re: What is your favorite area of the game?

Post by Aroddo » October 11th, 2014, 1:48 am

Ag Center.
Because there were no bugs apart from the mutated bugs.

cw8
Scholar

Post by cw8 » October 12th, 2014, 6:48 pm

AG Centre, probably one of the best build places in WL2, except it's a slog to get through.

Titan Canyon and Titan Temple had probably the best C&C in the game. But I'm not too much of a fan of the place itself.

Damonta had a great atmosphere but nothing in depth regarding quests or plot. Just fighting robots over and over and some fetch quests.

I like Rodia, feels like real town hub. Many alternate ways to go about quests as well. Hollywood would be really awesome if it wasn't the buggy mess it is right now.

ripper19
Novice

Post by ripper19 » October 12th, 2014, 9:06 pm

Gameplay wise, Titan Canyon for me. If not for a little bug with Dr. Kyle, that area would be perfect.

AG Center was also great because it really made the game feel like wasteland. Scarce resources, having to scavenge everything for ammo, etc.

Damonta left me disappointed because everybody mentioned it was the scavenger's heaven or something, yet you could barely loot the place. The tinker guy made it great, though.

Everything else was average, or actually very good but spoiled by major drawbacks. Like the magical mines in RSM Prison and the massive ammount of bugs for Hollywood.

jack slepy
Initiate

Post by jack slepy » October 13th, 2014, 11:27 am

beach with hundreds holes to dig up :D forgot area name

karlgoran82
Initiate

Post by karlgoran82 » October 13th, 2014, 5:11 pm

Rodia had the funniest dialog by far, i noticed that something was different in the writing when i immediately started laughing after initiating a conversation with the pink armored dude(ette). It would be great to see more stuff written by Patrick McClean in future inXile games. Rodia was also the part of the game that felt most like Fallout for some reason. Canyon of titan is probably the runner up on the strenght of its level design and Mannerites-ville third. Damonta, Rail Nomads Camp and Santa-fe springs were the weakest locations imo.

The game is the best RPG released since Morrowind (yeah i've played Mask of the betrayer, bloodlines, Original Sin and New Vegas), despite being bogged down by some pretty annoying stuff like:

- Too many trash encounters.
- Too much repetative skill use, having an extensive non-combat skill system is great but i don't think it was implemented in an ideal way in this game.
- Too easy to get access to a large majority of the skills and too easy to be good in them.
- A bit bland in terms of worldbuilding, especially pre-LA.

It's not a stone cold classic like the first two fallouts, baldurs gate 2, system shock 2, deus ex or planescape but it's a nice start for InXile.

asaphe
Initiate

Post by asaphe » October 14th, 2014, 1:04 am

Rodia, reminded me of some great locations from *other games of the genre :)
Sadly it is broken, you can't actually do what you want and the game doesn't react well.
Also learned after the fact I could've gone yet another different road with Rodia though eventually I would probably still make the same ultimate choice but with some delay since I love exploring first.
It was a bit annoying to find out through various items I got from the angel oracle that I missed content there.

I wish Rodia was more polished with more flexibility and impact, it's truly great.

Proton Axeman
Explorer

Post by Proton Axeman » October 14th, 2014, 1:23 am

Now that I'm in the endgame... I still like Angel Oracle and the Canyon of Titan for their cast of wonderfully insane-people-for-insane-world characters, but in terms of design for combat the New Citadel Interior map is very neat -- quite a few dark intersections, quite a few cover-strewn areas, higher vantage points and the like.

Did a lot of movement in pairs during the real-time mode approaching doorways, covering from hallway, moving in and spreading out to cover a room and then waiting to get a sense of what the opposition was and where, and target prioritization. Only goofiness was that it was clearly better to do it without armor because of the energy-weapon mechanic, but quite fun -- if far easier than Whittier since I fully controlled where I engaged, and only needed to worry about one direction for each fight.

Was amused that the big D had exactly 500 hp, giving me an excuse to use one of the RPGs I'd been toting around forever. The immediately prior arena was also interesting, since I chose not to go up the middle (too obvious) and instead hugged the left flank... meaning that when things triggered, they were at *long* range.

Memorable moment:

"Oh, the meson cannon's locked in... but none of my characters has the debuff icon. Wait a minute... you're locked on the DOG! Nooooooooooooo!"

(Did manage to take down the cannon before it committed an act of animal cruelty. Sadly, couldn't restrain the dog from charging the Scorpitron, with predictable results.)

RolandGrey
Initiate

Post by RolandGrey » October 14th, 2014, 8:09 pm

Definitely going to go with Rail Nomad on this one. It's a location with serious gravity, where you can feel the weight of your decisions as you work. One wrong step leading to genocide? Yikes!

Proton Axeman
Explorer

Post by Proton Axeman » October 15th, 2014, 5:38 pm

...as long as we're talking about areas, was the placement of the New Citadel -- the last 'new' location you find, and the finale of the LA map -- on a beach surrounded by radiation a ~subtle shout-out to Nevil Shute, or was that just a happy coincidence?

Ei Carumba
Explorer

Post by Ei Carumba » October 17th, 2014, 2:47 pm

AZ was my pref, mainly because when I played LA was a clusterfuck of bugs and I had to shoot everything instead.

Hoping to have a better time with P2.

Edit.. HAVING a better time with P2. :)

Grohal
Adventurer

Post by Grohal » October 20th, 2014, 6:08 am

There is no single area in the game - but I really enjoyed Rail Nomand Camp, Canyon/Temple of Titan & Angels Oracle.
But I have yet to finish Rodia. :mrgreen:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Balls Out 3
Scholar

Post by Balls Out 3 » October 21st, 2014, 8:35 pm

It's hard for me to pick a flat-out favorite, but I believe I'm leaning toward Angel Oracle. I just enjoyed how the whole place was filled with tons of darkly ironic madness. The cults were great, as was the interplay between them. I felt the area had some of the best humor and writing, and I recall being amused by many of the conversations random people were having. Mr. Manners was also a wonderfully eccentric character and he was fun to converse with. I was glad to have fixed the man's toaster.

Aasdaasf
Initiate

Post by Aasdaasf » October 22nd, 2014, 12:28 pm

Titan Canyon, Rodia and Angel Oracle were my favourites. The areas were rich in NPCs, story and side missions. Hollywood probably could have been equally good or better if it hadn't been so buggy.

Least favourite wasn't asked, but I'm going to say Seal Beach anyway. I had high expectations (think about the Enclave oil rig from Fallout 2!) but instead it was just a few fights in a tunnel.

Kergan
Acolyte

Post by Kergan » October 23rd, 2014, 8:08 am

Probably the two Titan areas, in the sense it was the most challenging in terms of figuring out an outcome I was happy with. (Which is to say, grab all the available skill books and toaster loot while maxing out XP.)

I eventually settled with:

1. Do all of the monk quests (except the nuke), shooting DBM guys as you do
2. Try to enter their complex in broad daylight to make them hostile
3. Shoot all monks and raiders
4. Go to DBM base, meet them and do their quest so they take over
5. Return to DBM base, and refuse to give your weapons to make them hostile
6. Shoot all DBM
7. Disarm the nuke
8. Return to Titan and shoot all raiders

A downside of that approach was that AZ merchants all ran out of scrap long before I was done with the area. I ended up setting up a triangular trade where I traded CoT/ToT loot in exchange for stockpiles of ammo over at Holliday's in RNC, then headed to RC to put these into my stash (and dump any leftover loot on Nelson for pricier bullets), and then headed back to CoT/ToT for more to sell... until the area is completely clear.

The only sour taste it left in my mouth was that there was no "Rangers secured the Canyon of Titan" slide. Because frankly, that's what I did for all practical purposes.

WhereisBaoDur
Novice

Post by WhereisBaoDur » October 29th, 2014, 1:35 pm

Ag Center, Rail nomads. (even if it was missing the longhorn cattle)
Damonta wasn't bad, maybe it needed a few more npcs, even dead, a couple slicer dicers less. a couple more stories, could have been a few torn pages.
oh and the beach shrine in LA, the one with the submarine and the arizona guy, who was he? a scientist from Ag center maybe?

Devilfish
Acolyte

Post by Devilfish » October 31st, 2014, 10:15 pm

Throwing in my vote for Damonta, by a mile. Maybe it was because I was coming of a string of hard decisions and questioning my solutions, but it was so very nice to storm into the besieged town and be a straightforward hero for once. It wouldn't have worked if the entire game was about Big Damn Heroes bringing light and lollipops everywhere they go, but after the Canyon, it was a relief to do a pretty self-contained map with good guys and bad guys. And all my favorite NPCs were there. I ADORE Magee and Hopi. It may sound silly, but it's rare for me to be playing a video game and thinking "Yes! They are like me! I exist in this world!" And when Chisel started being a lecherous creep to them he was kicked out of the party on the spot. And Werewolf Wally was great. I made the mistake of leaving Damonta right after talking him into giving me the key and installing the transmitter (I hadn't caught on to the fact that the Damonta situation was sort of an emergency and thought I could finish up after restocking somewhere else.) My ears are still ringing from that scathing FU rant. If you think Vargas is bad when he's pissed off at you, you haven't heard anything. And the encounter at the end was just great.

I think I might enjoy Ag Center too. I chose Highpool for my first playthrough, but seeing what was left of Ag really made me wish I hadn't. Don't know about the quests and NPCs there, sadly, but it was easily the most interesting map visually. I kept wanting to zoom in to ground level to really see all the details. Looks like a fascinating place. Or maybe it's just the allure of the unknown. Very pretty either way.

But yeah, Magee and Hopi. I think they're my new favorite video game characters. I had a bit of a moment when I met those two crazy kids, and I laughed when Hopi had that little chat with Vulture's Cry, and I was looking for an excuse to kick Chisel off the team. Thank you for them. It means a whole lot to me.
With the haaaammer aaaaand the book! With the haaaammer aaaaand the book! With the haaaammer aaaaand the book!

BetaSpectre
Explorer

Post by BetaSpectre » November 6th, 2014, 4:02 pm

Storywise was Highpool it just felt right in with what I thought wasteland stood for. Fighting Raiders and saving civilians.

Gameplay wise probably the assault on Ranger Citadel. Just having all the people you saved pop up to assist was worth seeing. Fun action too.

Araton
Initiate

Post by Araton » November 7th, 2014, 1:28 am

I gotta say that I really liked the area in Highpool where you decended down into a cave where the redscorpions had their camp, but they were wiped out by a Synth that was dumped on the trash inside a container. At first I thought that it was a container, then I realized that it was another entrance to the water works that was blocked.
This area is kinda sci-fi horror like. I thought that it was cut out from Bladerunner or Terminator. I think we need a larger waste disposal area with a labyrinth built from these narrow pathways filled with Synths to kill and some cover to hide from direct fire.

natzy
Acolyte

Post by natzy » November 11th, 2014, 3:03 am

For the atmosphere I would say Damonta. I also liked Angle Oracle, Hollywood, Rodia, Rail Nomads Camp, Canyon of Titan, Ag Center.
I also liked Rangel Citadel a lot more then Santa Fe. I would really like to see a Wasteland DLC or Expansion pack with more cities as complex as Hollywood and Rodia.
Look out below! Above! Sideways!

WebShaman
Initiate

Post by WebShaman » November 13th, 2014, 10:08 am

RNC followed by Damonta.

RNC is just awesome sauce!

This is the Wasteland. And you have an almost impossible task that is solvable...if you try hard enough.

This is what being a Desert Ranger is all about. Unite the warring factions, and bring rail back to AZ!

As I finally solved this, I was euphoric!

All those communities, now united by steel rails, and all because of...you!

I also really liked AG Center, but I really, REALLY HATE that I am unable to rescue both the water supply in Highpool (more important than food) and AG Center. If I could hack the game, it is the first thing I would do.

In the immortal words of Captain Kirk - "I don't believe in the no-win situation!"

The only thing that really irked me was not being able to use the rail system to travel. I mean...I should now have free travel on it, right?