What is your favorite area of the game?

Discussing the story & setting of Wasteland 2. Beware spoilers. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

larryholmes
Initiate

Re: What is your favorite area of the game?

Post by larryholmes » November 13th, 2014, 7:04 pm

WebShaman wrote:I also really liked AG Center, but I really, REALLY HATE that I am unable to rescue both the water supply in Highpool (more important than food) and AG Center. If I could hack the game, it is the first thing I would do.
Then why not do it. Go, go, go...

PangaeaTNO
Scholar

Post by PangaeaTNO » November 14th, 2014, 8:50 am

Damonta. The atmosphere there is fantastic, and to then meet those splicer dicers was a reality check.

Didn't like Ag Center. It felt like a drag to get through, especially so early in the game, when you want to 'hook' the players. There was no real story going on either.

Liked AZ better than Cali. It felt more 'real', and the stuff you did there made more sense. When the story turned more into a classic "save the world from a powerhungry maniac" it became less interesting. The turn at the very end was quite disappointing, with the evil distorted voice to top it off. I liked the base there, but the very end was a bit disappointing.

The early part of Cali didn't make sense either. I hoped we'd need to fight our way through synths to get to the base, and then start figuring out if the downed chopper had survivors or not, hoping to be able to re-recruit Angela, as I got rather attached to her. To then end up right at the base the way we did, and a pretty silly "oh, you came five minutes too late, and our heavily armored guys got eaten by dogs" was terrible. The map is also huge, with nothing going on once you seal the fences.

Simcc79
Initiate

Post by Simcc79 » November 14th, 2014, 9:00 am

Most maps is below my expectation. My favorite map and reasons, haven't play too much to fully run all stories yet due to bugs in canyon of titan

1. Rodia - Quest and sub quest is fun. Strong enemy and multiple solutions and i like it the most its because i have reasons to visit the town again and again (quest linked) kinda reminds me on fallout experience that you need to revisit towns for quest solving. I don't like that fact the trader is outside without a proper store or a general store in the town and the lack of sewer for sub quest or just plain killing field for experience gain (most town should have sewer in my opinion, just to make it an option to ignore or to gain more experience and fun killing without impact on story mode)

2. Ag Center - Quest is fun. Bug hunt was good. Its not my favorite because there is no need or reason to visit the town after quest is done. And the fact is that you need to run an entire map area if you wanna visit the doctor or the trader. The entrance map have no particular use at all after the first time you clear that out which is kinda stupid to run over it again and again just to visit a doctor or trader. Also it is suppose to be a farming area so it should be selling food (special food) like honeydews etc but no such option either after you save that town.

3. Canyon of Titan - Because there is a lot of things to do there thats the only reason. Other than that plan boring and look like a lazy effort from developers. DBM base is a joke honestly, should at least build a bunker to house some soldiers or bed or kitchen etc so you can visit it to supply up (if friendly terms) or attack it for more loot and experience (if hostile terms). Besides that the developers should do more random event there since it is the most hotly contested zone (you encounter a battle and choose who to help etc, sudden raider attack etc, or just plain damsel in distress situation). Developer makes that zone a route for important trade yet no people is roaming that area which is strange. Its kinda makes me feel like kill and move on zone without even looking back at visiting it at all. Again i believe its a lazy effort. Also developer can add in sub quest like traders looking for body guard etc (like fallout 2 - redding) since its a trading route and dangerous raiders make sense people need extra muscle.

Other area like Angel Oracle, Hollywood was ok in my opinion.

Stupid areas that i hate in the game (mostly is because i find no reason to revisit, i am used to fallout experience which gives you reasons to revisit towns eg New Reno - fallout 2)
1. Darwin - feels like a lazy job again with no purpose of visit at all after first time (should just make the place to trade some research consumables like strong pills, medicine etc if you save them and stay on friendly terms)

2. Damonta - Again feels like a lazy job, i mean developer could at least put the enemy in a bunker underground with scientific loot (like unique energy weapons, mods for NPC robots etc, since that dude is a robot rather than just in a hanger. And also after clearing it Hopi and team should be able to take over that technology and supply some good weapons mods as a trader so you can have reasons to revisit. No local authority on a dangerous wasteland is plainly stupid.

3. Highpool - Nothing much to do and quest is too simple compared to Ag Center. At least this town i visit often for heal and ammo run.

4. Railway Nomads - Again after peace you have no reason to visit as there is no medic to heal. Its suppose to be the town that you will be tempted to visit most given the story line of railroad trading meaning alot of goods and services from all over the waste. Its a transport hub.

Overall i find LA more fun than the first area. Also the story was good but the content is just disappointing compared to fallout series. Developers should at least get us some horses or vehicles to travel around.

Ricky Fox
Initiate

Post by Ricky Fox » November 21st, 2014, 4:09 pm

I almost like all of the area of the game from AZ or LA. But still hoping for new amazing one... ;)

PangaeaTNO
Scholar

Post by PangaeaTNO » November 22nd, 2014, 3:43 am

Having played AZ a 2nd time now, it must be said again: Damonta is bloody wonderful. Best atmosphere in the game by a long shot. Shame there isn't more to do there as I love it.

In general I really like the music in the AZ area, but in Cali it gets on my tits. Not necessarily the music itself, but some of the background noise is grating. For example some scratching/screeching in Santa Fe (and many other areas), and that bloody woman scream in Rodia. Often I have to effectively turn off the music in Cali due to this, but of course that removes all music, including combat music, which I quite like. Wish these effects were separate, as screams and metal scratching isn't exactly "music".

Abandoned Trainwreck was really good too, and perhaps the main location in the game that truly hits home how grotesque the synths are, with how people are sliced up all over the place. Really felt like walking through a scene of a massacre, which I didn't really in other parts of the game.

Revenant Prime
Initiate

Post by Revenant Prime » November 22nd, 2014, 12:40 pm

PangaeaTNO wrote:Having played AZ a 2nd time now, it must be said again: Damonta is bloody wonderful. Best atmosphere in the game by a long shot. Shame there isn't more to do there as I love it.

In general I really like the music in the AZ area, but in Cali it gets on my tits. Not necessarily the music itself, but some of the background noise is grating. For example some scratching/screeching in Santa Fe (and many other areas), and that bloody woman scream in Rodia. Often I have to effectively turn off the music in Cali due to this, but of course that removes all music, including combat music, which I quite like. Wish these effects were separate, as screams and metal scratching isn't exactly "music".

Abandoned Trainwreck was really good too, and perhaps the main location in the game that truly hits home how grotesque the synths are, with how people are sliced up all over the place. Really felt like walking through a scene of a massacre, which I didn't really in other parts of the game.
Well said.
Damonta was my favourite too, the music, environment and plot all lines up beautifully in that place.
Just a shame that Tinker was promptly forgotten and never remembered again by the plot.
Still, running around a devastated town, searching for survivors while fighting off robots with interesting combat mechanics (I just love hacking discobots) was pretty much the peak of the game for me.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 24th, 2014, 4:39 pm

Was reminded of this in another thread, but I think my favorite location in the game was the "submarine shrine" in LA. There's no quest or anything, but it's such a perfect little scene.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Mr57belair
Novice

Post by Mr57belair » December 19th, 2014, 4:16 pm

I think my favorite area is a tie. First is Damonta. Loved the dark rainy environment. Liked seeing and helping out the cowboys. My favorite battles were with the slicer dicer robots. Loved them and wished for more battles with them. I also liked the battle with the tinker. Was great.
My second area is rodia. Was fun to listen and look at what was going on before kicking the shit of dengler and his crew. Loved being attack by 8 or more bad boys. It was a great battle, but I could of been greedy for asking more.

Ichthyic
Initiate

Post by Ichthyic » January 4th, 2015, 11:09 pm

I actually think I liked the prison area the best; had 3 great and hard fights there, all requiring tactical positioning to make things a lot easier. you actually had to watch where guards patrolled, etc.

I loved setting up the ranch fight, when you release the pigs. convenient platform with cover for snipers, walls to hide behind to ambush with shotgun... fun stuff.

I also enjoyed watching jobe eat lead when I refused to kill Danforth for him.

bloody dog poisoner.

pip_boy
Initiate

Post by pip_boy » February 16th, 2015, 6:15 pm

I probably belong to the minority here because I loved California and I found Arizona pretty average. Anyway, here is how I would rate the major areas of the game:

California:

1. Rodia (10/10). The design of the city and the Leather Jerks thugs fit the world really well. The quests are interesting and solving them requires some thinking and traveling. There is some humour as well. Best area in the game by far, give a ranger star to the people who created it.

2. Hollywood (8/10): The conflict between the Bastion and Hollywood was very entertaining, I absolutely loved the role of the kingmaker. That said, Hollywood was a bit disappointing. I expected a bigger city with more interaction. It felt strangely abandoned considering that they live off gambling and prostitution. I don't see how Hollywood's economy can work without people.

3. Angel Oracle (7/10): I found the whole manner thing a bit over the top and out of place. The Fletcher investigation and the cannibal quest were both really good. I liked the design of the city.

4. Santa Fe Springs (2/10): The only positive thing about this place is that the shops are close to the entrance. It is empty and boring.

Arizona:

1. Ranger Citadel (9/10): Good design and a lot of interaction with others. Feels like home! It's not 10/10 because the shops are too far from the entrance, which I found a bit annoying.

2. Rail Nomads Camp (7/10): I liked the structure of the quests and the fact that the city is big and alive, even though it isn't part of the main story line. I disliked the setting (I don't think trains and tribes mix well) and the maze like structure.

3. Highpool (5/10): The city fits the world well, but it has no character, very average overall.

4. AG Center (5/10): AG Center fits the world well and it is more original than Highpool. However, I found fighting there so annoying that I refuse to complete it in future playthroughs. The design is good other than the bloodthirsty rabbits.

5. Canyon and Temple of Titan (4/10): I just can't see the logic behind these places. How can the cult still exist with its kamikazee tactic? Where do they find enough recruits? The quests were mostly very average, but I liked the Silo 7 quest because it had no "perfect" outcome.

6. Damonta (3/10): I expected more from Damonta, I'm not even sure it qualifies as a city and not a dungeon with some people to talk to. I didn't like how it looks either. The quests were boring.

7. Prison (2/10): This place had much potential, but it is just too deserted and has horrible mechanics (seriously, who came up with the idea that players should get no hint that killing Danforth is impossible without visiting Damonta first?!).

8. Darwin Village (1/10): Why even include it in the game? Very poor design, barely any interaction.

Overall, I preferred areas where quests were longer and they included thinking and using skills (talking/lockpick/etc.), not just shooting.

I understand that the developers had limited resources, so it would be unfair to expect a Fallout 1/2 like world. That said, I think the game would have benefited from having fewer, more flashed out places.

SelphieSelfie
Novice

Post by SelphieSelfie » March 8th, 2015, 8:29 am

Hmmm... I'm having a hard time picking between Rodia or Angel Oracle.

Angel Oracle was a good break from all the fighting and provided the usual humorous dialogue in spades. It also looks nice and is fairly organized. I also love the authoritative female announcer telling you about how Roaches "might seem cute when they're small." with a motherly tone. I was laughing my ass off just going around town.

But I'm going to have to go with Rodia on this one.
From the moment you first enter town you're greeted by a Bullet grabber in a Full Pink Suit AND Mask who herself is CALLED Bullet Grabber!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
That just won me over. The town's quests have you running back and forth to Angel Oracle. The place has a plague of its own to worry about but the ambitious Jerks want to basically turn it into Hollywood when the resources are scarce. The "russian roulette" game was hilarious; as much I wanted to feel sorry for the victim you see get shot the dealers managed to talk him into choosing a larger caliber. They even had the currency changed to bullets with that ridiculous "bank". I'm so glad I kept all my old bullets. I also love how the quests have you taking care of the henchmen one at a time to get ready for that big confrontation.

Another highlight of the game for me would be the place where you first find the CotC slaughter everyone and writing down the ranger's symbol in blood. My jaw dropped that time. This is why I love this game; they just run you through the whole spectrum of human emotion. One minute you're laughing from item descriptions another you're in rage. It's brilliant.

PangaeaTNO
Scholar

Post by PangaeaTNO » October 17th, 2015, 4:58 am

Ichthyic wrote: I loved setting up the ranch fight, when you release the pigs. convenient platform with cover for snipers, walls to hide behind to ambush with shotgun... fun stuff.
Old post and all that, but I wanted to comment briefly on this. You can release the pigs without causing a fight, as long as you strategically knock down some of the fences. That way the pigs can escape unseen and nobody aggros you. I like that fight though, because there are so many enemies and you can use some tactics.

Played through the original game a few weeks back, and still loved Damonta the most. Gorgeous, gorgeous atmosphere :)

Demendred
Initiate

Post by Demendred » October 22nd, 2015, 12:38 pm

World map, because of all the awesome creepy transmissions you pick up.
Matthias is my savior. He will make me into a perfect union of man and machine. I shall be part of a race of synthetic warriors whom will destroy those butchers in Arizona, and help bring a clean and perfect future to all corners of the world.

fallander
Initiate

Post by fallander » November 15th, 2015, 7:40 am

Darvin Village, due to atmosphere, 'ghouls' and their quest. Awesome :)

mac10
Novice

Post by mac10 » December 15th, 2015, 2:13 pm

I love Damonta's wild wild west music, in game play, I love the canyon, nothing like monks worshipping a nuke.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » December 16th, 2015, 4:43 am

I would say Rail Nomad Camp. In significant part because I love trains ;) But I also like the way the insane war between the two groups is depicted, it's quite realistic, and being able to bring peace there feels great.

Moagrim
Initiate

Post by Moagrim » December 20th, 2016, 9:51 am

Ag center for me.It was with the Highpool area amongst the very first areas that got playtested and it really shows.

It's only negative side, so to speak, was that it outshined the Highpool area so badly that I only played through the Highpool area once during the WL2 early access phase.
Ag center however I ended playing through three or four(?) times in total (early access 1 or 2 times, launch version of the game and director's cut version of the game) and I liked the area each time.