Russian Radio Chatter

Discussing the story & setting of Wasteland 2. Beware spoilers. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

AyeBraine
Scholar

Russian Radio Chatter

Post by AyeBraine » October 2nd, 2014, 3:04 am

I almost forgot about it. Anyone wants to know what these cheerful man and woman talk about? Found the chatter on YouTube, the translation is below.

Male voice: Cheburashka to Shapoklyak*, Shapoklyak, come in.
Female voice: This is Shapoklyak, go ahead, Cheburashka.
Male voice: Just met with Red Bookhovski (sic), he refused to sell me the radiation suits, over.
Female voice: I read you, Cheburashka. Will try to contact his brother Rick (sic) and purchase radiation suits from him. Over.
Male voice: Splendid. Please maintain radio silence until we receive the suits. I don't want the Rangers to know what we're up to before we arrive in Damonta. Over.
Female voice: Transmission received and understood. Over and out.

*Cheburashka and Shapoklyak are classic Russian cartoon characters. Cheburashka is the main character, a strange big-eared creature with the mind of a child that'd found itself in the big city. And befriended an antropomorphic crocodile in a hat who likes to play accordion. Shapoklyak is a sort of a villain, but really just a mischievous old lady who lives to pull pranks on people. These are just callsigns like Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck.
Last edited by AyeBraine on October 2nd, 2014, 3:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrMoe
Explorer

Re: Russian Radio Chatter

Post by MrMoe » October 2nd, 2014, 3:09 am

AyeBraine
Scholar

Post by AyeBraine » October 2nd, 2014, 3:22 am

MrMoe wrote:check this out

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7232
OK, doesn't hurt to have a topic with just a verbatim translation. It's pretty self-evident as to its contents, and may help someone who googles it.

As for these guys, they were not implemented, basically. I've seen a tweet from B. Fargo where he promised "more [of this] to come". Oh well. Nice touch.

Sutekh
Initiate

Post by Sutekh » October 2nd, 2014, 11:03 pm

Russian post war Invasion? Its never listed what exactly become of the other countries around the world after the big War. It would make sense that some of the other superpowers existed in some shape or form .

AyeBraine
Scholar

Post by AyeBraine » October 3rd, 2014, 4:51 am

Sutekh wrote:Russian post war Invasion? Its never listed what exactly become of the other countries around the world after the big War. It would make sense that some of the other superpowers existed in some shape or form.
Why is it necessary invasion if it's Russians? =) They can simply be a Russian outfit. After all, my face char is Russian.

Sutekh
Initiate

Post by Sutekh » October 5th, 2014, 7:13 pm

There is also the statement by the Radio operator early on that they are starting to get signals coming through now that the upper cloud level fallout is slowly fading. Signals are actually reflecting back down off the top cloud layer which is why I think people hear random snippits from around the world.

Also the fact that one of the faction choices is a Russian I think indicates that the Russians are in the area in some numbers. For example there is no option to select Canadian or Cuban.

Revolucas
Explorer

Post by Revolucas » October 5th, 2014, 7:50 pm

The only word I recognized was Cheburashka, which was a Russian cartoon. I only know about it because someone made a crazy STALKER mod with a Cheburashka mesh. I binged watched all the episodes at one point.