Best way to resolve Rodia? What did you do?

Discussing the story & setting of Wasteland 2. Beware spoilers. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

UncleSporky
Scholar

Best way to resolve Rodia? What did you do?

Post by UncleSporky » October 1st, 2014, 11:12 am

I've been playing around in Rodia, doing different mini-quests and trying to get as far as I can without locking myself down any path. Done some save scumming just to test the waters and see what happens if I try different things. :P

I can poison all three of Dengler's cronies. I know if I start a fight with him they'll all run in and start out heavily damaged, and if I kill him it seems like the jerks will run out of town. I also know I can attempt to free the mayor and he'll also show up with his friends there.

Is initiating combat myself the only way to start a confrontation? I was hoping to have a moment where I could tell him "hey, I've poisoned all your friends and undermined your whole operation. Just wanted you to know that before I killed you." Or to be able to tell him to leave, or poison Dengler himself in some way.

Anything like that, or do I just have to shoot him outright? Feels...incomplete and brute-forcey.

veryinky
Scholar

Re: Best way to resolve Rodia? What did you do?

Post by veryinky » October 1st, 2014, 11:16 am

If you reveal to Dante that Dengler is trying to blackmail him with his gold digger wife, then it starts a fight right there. Dante shoots his wife. All the jerks disappear once Dengler and crew are dead. You don't get Dante's cat litter.

UncleSporky
Scholar

Post by UncleSporky » October 1st, 2014, 11:18 am

Oh that's interesting. That's probably how I'll end up fighting Dengler then, since I want to get the two farmers back together.

AyeBraine
Scholar

Post by AyeBraine » October 1st, 2014, 1:42 pm

UncleSporky wrote:Anything like that, or do I just have to shoot him outright? Feels...incomplete and brute-forcey.
Yeah, to milk the story, you're supposed to take Dengler's quests and almost finish all of them (meaning turning on him in the end). This way, you complete Dante's arc, reap full benefits of sabotage etc. You can leave freeing the mayor for later and then just blast through there (including using the Hot Potato =). Also, you ransack the bank in a smart quest-y way, back door and all (to get the recipe).

veryinky
Scholar

Post by veryinky » October 1st, 2014, 7:24 pm

Ok, think I managed to get the kitty litter out of Dante.

First I paid the 42 bullets to bullet grabber, gave .38s and 9mm because they're so cheap.
I talked to the doctor, got quest to get a microscope out of Angle Oracle.
Did the toasters, got head and shampoo.
Talked to the guy in the crater who wanted the red possum, he gave me possum chow to to give red possum in crater, brought red possum to guy and he gave me kitty litter. He asks me to talk to dante and get his wife away from him.
Talk to Dante, he asks me to bring his wife to his shed. Temporarily remove pistol pete from party.
Talk to Dengler, exhaust dialog options until only wrong/not wrong. Say notwrong. He asks me to bring aguave cuttings to some woman at crater, bring back 40 bullets.
Synths attack town, I Kill them.
I talk to woman, say that I'll pay, bring back 40 bullets to Dengler.
Talk to Denger, wants recipe for tequila, go to crater, unlock pipe, kill lizard, bank heist. I just took everything, recipe is in there.
Talk to Dengler, he asks me to find Dante's secret stash, I say "not now".
Tell who's in the entry room to the building that Dante's stash is in his shed.
Talk to Dante, first tell him I brought wife to shed. He gives me kitty litter. Next I tell him that his wife is plotting with Dengler, and say he should come to Dengler's window.
Talk to Dengler, Dante walks up to window, I say now, I ask him to explain exactly what his plan is with Dante.
Run back to Dante's house, he says he's going back to Jim (I think, guy in crater).
Go to distillery get bottle, fill bottle with well water, give to named distillery water who wants distilled water, he gets sick.
Go to bar, talk to bartender, he asks for choral hydrate to poison guard.
Go to hospital, ask for choral hydrate, smart/hardass check to get it, go back and give to bartender, give drink to guard.

--intermission--
Go to Angle Oracle, give head and shoulders to guy talking about his dandruff.
Find baby ruth in toaster.
Ask doctor for PERMISSION to get microscope, win smartass check.
Get microscope.

--back at Rodia---
Give Baby Ruth to biggun for book.
give microscope to doctor, he gives hook, use hook on well, go back to doctor, he finds cure.

Now, you can either rescue the mayor from the cage directly, which will result in a very small battle with just Dengler and his 3 guards.

OR

Shoot a random jerk. Kill them all for massive loot.

Either way this complete Rodia. Took many hours to figure out how to do it in spite of broken quests and dialogs.

UncleSporky
Scholar

Post by UncleSporky » October 1st, 2014, 8:04 pm

I dinked around in Rodia for hours and never found any broken quests or dialogs at all.

I finished it by telling Dengler I was "ready" to go talk to Dante, then when speaking to Dante I told him about the plot, which triggered the final encounter right there in Dante's house, just Dengler and his friends. Everything was still resolved well. After coming back later, Dante and Virgil were having luck in his house and he gave me kitty litter.

Lucius
Master

Post by Lucius » October 1st, 2014, 8:59 pm

veryinky wrote:snip
Well done. Though I never encountered any "broken" quests or dialogue either. I didn't complete the area as thoroughly as you, but nothing was broken because of it. I never got Virgil and whathisname back together because I never helped Dengler -at all-. But that wasn't broken, just a different path.

The only thing that could be questionably broken is I did not kill the mayor for Chris (his son?). So that quest is sitting in my quest log still incomplete and there doesn't appear to be a way to officially resolve it.

AyeBraine
Scholar

Post by AyeBraine » October 1st, 2014, 10:05 pm

veryinky wrote:Tell who's in the entry room to the building that Dante's stash is in his shed.
Aww, you could reunite spouses of 20 years and rekindle a true love if you didn't lure the wife to the shed ) Also get Virgil to repair the tower, of course. Still get the litter, I think. (Although I didn't know that both Dante/Beatrice outcomes are compatible, if they are.) Also, you could get the recipe in a quest way (find out the code for the lock box from mayor son's diary, get the key to the sewers from... I forgot).

BTW, it's all a very big shout-out to Dante's Inferno. The multi-circled Hell (crater/Dante's marriage), Beatrice (real Dante's life-long love that he never got together with), Virgil (Dante's guide through Hell) and so on.

UncleSporky
Scholar

Post by UncleSporky » October 2nd, 2014, 4:59 am

I'm confused with people saying there's some quest to kill the mayor from his son. I'm pretty sure I spoke to his son thoroughly and I don't think I ever got that quest. At any case I don't have a quest to kill the mayor in my log.

Dark
Scholar

Post by Dark » October 2nd, 2014, 1:22 pm

After the Mayor asked me to get the recipe from his son, I spoke to the son, who asked me to kill both the mayor and Dengler. I didn't kill the mayor, so that quest is sitting in my log as well. Can't even tell the mayor about his little shit of a son.

Grimage
Acolyte

Post by Grimage » October 2nd, 2014, 4:19 pm

Huho, should have paid that toll, i see i missed a lot of quests killing the jerks first :(

IHaveHugeNick
Master

Post by IHaveHugeNick » October 2nd, 2014, 5:28 pm

Grimage wrote:Huho, should have paid that toll, i see i missed a lot of quests killing the jerks first :(
No kidding. I just went and shoot the bastards. I see my second playthrough is going to be interesting.
Two rite whiff care is quite a feet of witch won should be proud.

veryinky
Scholar

Post by veryinky » October 3rd, 2014, 1:07 am

AyeBraine wrote:Aww, you could reunite spouses of 20 years and rekindle a true love if you didn't lure the wife to the shed ) Also get Virgil to repair the tower, of course. Still get the litter, I think. (Although I didn't know that both Dante/Beatrice outcomes are compatible, if they are.) Also, you could get the recipe in a quest way (find out the code for the lock box from mayor son's diary, get the key to the sewers from... I forgot).

BTW, it's all a very big shout-out to Dante's Inferno. The multi-circled Hell (crater/Dante's marriage), Beatrice (real Dante's life-long love that he never got together with), Virgil (Dante's guide through Hell) and so on.
I did lure wife to the shed, and got the kitty litter but it did create a weird dialog where I told dante to come listen to lt. Dengler's window, asked Lt. Dengler to repeat what he wanted me to do to Dante, as in get location of stash out of him. Except when Dante returned to his house he was talking about how his wife had betrayed him even though Dengler didn't mention him at all. That dialog was buggy. When I rescued the mayor, causing Dengler to show up and killed Dengler, Dante at his house talked about how his wife escaped the shed and ran out of town. Then he went to Virgil. EXCEPT Virgil was already sitting at the dinner table. Dante goes to the exit of his house, disappears. Then re-appears sitting down with Virgil. Virgil tells me he'll fix the radio tower, even though I already fixed it with mechanical repair skill.

Though you can get two skill books, brute force and barter if you pay the toll at the entrance, brute force item can be gotten from Angel Oracle, but the barter one is in hollywood. Barter is a completely useless skill so it's not worth it, not compared to the amount of cash you can get if you kill every jerk in town. Note that the teller and gekko the banker are hostile if you attack the jerks but they're considered civilians which causes pistol pete to leave the party if you kill those two.

htl77
Initiate

Post by htl77 » October 3rd, 2014, 3:25 pm

veryinky wrote:Ok, think I managed to get the kitty litter out of Dante.
Talked to the guy in the crater who wanted the red possum, he gave me possum chow to to give red possum in crater, brought red possum to guy and he gave me kitty litter. He asks me to talk to dante and get his wife away from him.
I didn't get kitty litter for returning the possum to virgil. Did anybody else get kitty litter for returning the possum? The guy even said he doesn't have any and Dante is the only person who is likely to have some.
veryinky wrote: Talk to Dengler, he asks me to find Dante's secret stash, I say "not now".
Talk to Dante, first tell him I brought wife to shed. He gives me kitty litter. Next I tell him that his wife is plotting with Dengler, and say he should come to Dengler's window.
Talk to Dengler, Dante walks up to window, I say now, I ask him to explain exactly what his plan is with Dante.
Run back to Dante's house, he says he's going back to Jim (I think, guy in crater).
I tried this and I didn't get the same result as you. Dante didn't give me the kitty litter after he locked his wife up, because the deal was that I needed to cure the town first. Also, as soon as I entered Dengler's office and spoke to him, he went hostile on me and accused me of ruining his plot to find Dante's fortune by locking Beatrice up.

How is it possible that you got such different results from me? Did you play a pre-patch version?
Last edited by htl77 on October 3rd, 2014, 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

htl77
Initiate

Post by htl77 » October 3rd, 2014, 4:08 pm

Dark wrote:After the Mayor asked me to get the recipe from his son, I spoke to the son, who asked me to kill both the mayor and Dengler. I didn't kill the mayor, so that quest is sitting in my log as well. Can't even tell the mayor about his little shit of a son.
I have the same problem.

WrothBog
Acolyte

Post by WrothBog » October 5th, 2014, 1:12 am

after reading the thread it's apparant i should have paid the toll.

sweeping the town would be the faster option if it weren't for so many civilians being tagged as hostiles

Neinhalt
Novice

Post by Neinhalt » October 9th, 2014, 12:16 pm

Im kinda stuck at Rodia at the moment. I've cleared everything, but Virgil won't repair the tower or talk to me ("Just ... leave me alone"). Beatrice is locked up, so I guess Virgil is angry because I did not resolve the situation with him and Dante - everything else is done (even got litter from Dante), last was the trade pact with Angel Oracle. Killed Beatrice, Dante still says he's happy she's safe ...
Currently I don't have high enough repair on anyone, including trinket - so, am I screwed until I level up, or is there another solution?

M4xw0lf
Scholar

Post by M4xw0lf » October 9th, 2014, 12:51 pm

IHaveHugeNick wrote:
Grimage wrote:Huho, should have paid that toll, i see i missed a lot of quests killing the jerks first :(
No kidding. I just went and shoot the bastards. I see my second playthrough is going to be interesting.
Same here. I'd still do it, but I don't want to miss all of that content ;)

ZonkerBrainless
Explorer

Post by ZonkerBrainless » October 9th, 2014, 1:06 pm

veryinky wrote:Ok, think I managed to get the kitty litter out of Dante.

First I paid the 42 bullets to bullet grabber, gave .38s and 9mm because they're so cheap.
I talked to the doctor, got quest to get a microscope out of Angle Oracle.
Did the toasters, got head and shampoo.
Talk to Dante, he asks me to bring his wife to his shed. Temporarily remove pistol pete from party.
Talk to Dengler, exhaust dialog options until only wrong/not wrong. Say notwrong. He asks me to bring aguave cuttings to some woman at crater, bring back 40 bullets.
Synths attack town, I Kill them.
I talk to woman, say that I'll pay, bring back 40 bullets to Dengler.
Talk to Denger, wants recipe for tequila, go to crater, unlock pipe, kill lizard, bank heist. I just took everything, recipe is in there.
Talk to Dengler, he asks me to find Dante's secret stash, I say "not now".
Go to distillery get bottle, fill bottle with well water, give to named distillery water who wants distilled water, he gets sick.
Go to bar, talk to bartender, he asks for choral hydrate to poison guard.
Go to hospital, ask for choral hydrate, smart/hardass check to get it, go back and give to bartender, give drink to guard.

--intermission--
Go to Angle Oracle, give head and shoulders to guy talking about his dandruff.
Find baby ruth in toaster.
Ask doctor for PERMISSION to get microscope, win smartass check.
Get microscope.

--back at Rodia---
Give Baby Ruth to biggun for book.
give microscope to doctor, he gives hook, use hook on well, go back to doctor, he finds cure.

Now, you can either rescue the mayor from the cage directly, which will result in a very small battle with just Dengler and his 3 guards.

OR

Shoot a random jerk. Kill them all for massive loot.

Either way this complete Rodia. Took many hours to figure out how to do it in spite of broken quests and dialogs.
Woah! That's awesome!

Alefiend
Initiate

Post by Alefiend » October 9th, 2014, 1:23 pm

veryinky wrote:Did the toasters, got head
I hope they make a Battlestar Galactica themed mod soon! ;)