Hollywood walkthrough to peaceful ending - (almost) no bugs

Discussing the story & setting of Wasteland 2. Beware spoilers. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

veryinky
Scholar

Re: Hollywood walkthrough to peaceful ending - (almost) no b

Post by veryinky » October 4th, 2014, 3:55 am

frozyx wrote:Thats interesting. Did you talk to her twice so that she really agreed to give her vote to Veronica?
I asked her to vote before killing Duke. No vote dialog option aftewards, probably just a bug. Also typing "vote" in doesn't work either.

frozyx
Adventurer

Post by frozyx » October 4th, 2014, 4:04 am

veryinky wrote:
frozyx wrote:Thats interesting. Did you talk to her twice so that she really agreed to give her vote to Veronica?
I asked her to vote before killing Duke. No vote dialog option aftewards, probably just a bug. Also typing "vote" in doesn't work either.
Hm, ye that sounds like a bug.

Droiyan7
Initiate

Post by Droiyan7 » October 4th, 2014, 6:44 am

veryinky wrote:Flo votes "Nay" even though I did everything she asked and gave her Duke's diner and vote. Probably a bug.
Me too, maybe we should ask her to vote AFTER killed Schwaag (not before), but no chance to me to check if its true.

RE: 15. Patch 1 patched it. :) Camera now move correctly to show whats going on.

RE: 22. Killing the military leader did not automatically trigger cutscene to complete the 2nd main quest (Ascendants). The cutscene triggered when I get to near of where Fealty Mayweather was.

Basically, I just followed frozyx's instruction (expect small details mentioned above) and it worked as just he claimed. 8-)

Maybe future patch2 would make Hollywood quest more flexible, but for now, frozyx's instruction is the best answer for who want a walkthrough to peaceful Hollywood ending. ;)

AyeBraine
Scholar

Post by AyeBraine » October 4th, 2014, 7:01 am

frozyx wrote:
veryinky wrote:Flo votes "Nay" even though I did everything she asked and gave her Duke's diner and vote. Probably a bug.
Thats interesting. Did you talk to her twice so that she really agreed to give her vote to Veronica?
Nah, she did the same for me. See the notes for your walkthrough, left her and Schwaag for dessert, properly notified her twice (she said the same shit both times), same result. Nay.

Desperado99
Initiate

Post by Desperado99 » October 5th, 2014, 3:10 am

veryinky wrote:Tried this, had to kill Meson Canon, Jones, leave map, re-enter map, enter central room for peace treaty with Veronica and McDade to happen.

-Monks all still hostile, except one wearing red robes in central room.
-Maggie disappeared
-Penitents still in cages
-Penitents still in Penitent pens, talking like I killed them all
-Penitent brothers in bar at Les Paz, talk like most of the Penitents died in the escape. One of the Penitent brothers still in Penitent Pens.
-McDade who gives quest to break siege on bastion and destroy meson cannon still standing by gate in hollywood.

No way to complete Maggie quest.

Some NPC townsfolk talk about the peace treaty.

I'm not sure how this town could possibly have gotten through QA.
Thank you. Exiting and entering map after Jones was dead worked for me as well. Everything else is as you described. I'm just glad I can move on now.

WrothBog
Acolyte

Post by WrothBog » October 9th, 2014, 2:45 am

well i treated hollywood, and indeed the whole game, like it wouldn't self destruct if i tried to wing it. this thread has me very concerned i've just ruined my playthrough.

i came here expecting i needed proof of heidi's involvement in salt to get manny onboard but it seems thats not something my guys should have worked out.

i killed shwagg and the other guy almost as soon as i entered hollywood, i've got the lovebirds plotting to take over before either had even started individually. freed the penitents the hard way, the dog died in it's first encounter.

and i pressed the red button

is it likely i can even finish it at this rate?

frozyx
Adventurer

Post by frozyx » October 9th, 2014, 3:12 am

Actually you dont have to finish most all of the quest in way it is described here to continue and finish the game. The most important thing is to set up the radio tower and get some zeolite (at least 3) from it. And i am not even sure if that is absolutely necessary, as you can apparently even force your way down to Seal Beach with your current Rad Suits.

WrothBog
Acolyte

Post by WrothBog » October 9th, 2014, 3:26 am

well that's a relief

the longer i spend in hollywood the more i feel the gods militia may have a point...as long as they kept the murder to the hsp and left the civilians out of it

M4xw0lf
Scholar

Post by M4xw0lf » October 9th, 2014, 4:01 am

WrothBog wrote:well that's a relief

the longer i spend in hollywood the more i feel the gods militia may have a point...as long as they kept the murder to the hsp and left the civilians out of it
Well, the peaceful ending sets the HSP and the Militia straight. It's not like with some of the other choices, where you have to decide between bad and worse (or bad and equally bad) - Hollywood can have an officially good ending. ;)

Btw: if you talk to the penitents after the ending cutscene with McDade, Fealty and Veronica, they finally walk out the open gate. Even when they gave you the 'you killed us all'-stuff before. Only Maggie remains gone.

AyeBraine
Scholar

Post by AyeBraine » October 9th, 2014, 4:12 am

WrothBog wrote:well that's a relief

Well, if they have a point, then at least remove Retribution Jones. Because he's sending amped-up patrols to kill indiscriminately, butchering civilians, all across the LA. And dreaming of a God's Empire that will basically contain a lot of dead bodies, some converts, and a buncha slaves.

M4xw0lf
Scholar

Post by M4xw0lf » October 9th, 2014, 4:29 am

Another questbreaking bug which occurred to me (I wrote about this and the solution already in another thread, but it definitely belongs here, too):
after killing Jones, there was a comment from McDade from somewhere off-screen to the extent how he hadn't looked forward to working with Jones anyway - but when I go the main room, from where his text came, nobody's there (except that red-clad monk who just stands around). This outcome happened every time when I cleared out the Bastion of Jones' followers, no matter if I entered through the secret entrance or the valley, cleared the front court with the meson cannon and the penitents or didn't, left the map and reentered it... simply every time.
In the end, I just had to reload a save directly after Jones' death and McDade's comment (saves directly BEFORE his death never worked) - then I went to the rotunda and everyone was just standing there, as if I hadn't spent 3 hours of trying to have them show up. :evil:

Just now another thing came to mind:
To be able to identify McDade as the broken man, you need to pass a perception check of challenge level 8 - this has stopped the completion of the quest for some people.

jaxx0rr
Initiate

Post by jaxx0rr » October 10th, 2014, 4:19 am

Why not mention the Brother (Alex Bermudez) gets bugged if you enter bastion trough the back even if you never talked to Luis. I walked for a long time on the map and could not find Los Feliz or Griffith/Bastion so I blew up the rocks in Hollywood to enter.. now its bugged and I cant be bothered to load..

edit: I bothered to load, entered through gauntlet and he still wont stay with his brother..

edit2: ok I got McDade as Church leader and got 4 votes for Veronica, killed the Meson cannon and Jones, then the treaty got signed (in the church Cupola for those who don't know..) and then I went to the locked brother again.. now they talked and the one following me left.. THEN I shot the electronic lock on the big gate and the prisoners got freed, then I went to the bar to finish the brothers quest.. no sign of Maggie though

Gotcha
Scholar

Post by Gotcha » October 22nd, 2014, 1:45 pm

Thanks for your walkthrough. :)
I was astonished over the ridiculous amount of bugs still present, but at least I got my peace treaty and proper ending slides thanks to you.
Maggie was indeed gone with the wind.

Also kept my puppy alive through the end. Jaime, who was still following me when I reached the Griffith radio tower, was less lucky. I kept the piece of junk it dropped as a souvenir. *sniff*

AyeBraine
Scholar

Post by AyeBraine » October 22nd, 2014, 5:07 pm

Gotcha wrote:Also kept my puppy alive through the end.
My Puppy kept going strong and could rip another hundred robots apart no sweat. Frankly, he was quite shocked, as I was, at the sudden endgame.

Mallaca51
Explorer

Post by Mallaca51 » October 22nd, 2014, 6:14 pm

im postive hollywood was meant to be the first location you go to, then it all broke and they put it behind radiation when they realised people would just kill matthias at the first opportunity in LA(I assume I'm going to get this chance in my join the children run).

Plan is to tank 250 damage and do nothing except go to hollywood once i clear Santa Fe.

Also, as long as you have the "we took the bastion back, now lets watch the ceremony" questline, all you have to do to "unbreak" the cutscene is walk up to the very end of the NSFW room where mayweather is. I did like 5 reloads trying to get the scene and all i had to do was walk to the end of the compass room.

Also, my penitents were freed after i walked in the front door after killing the mesan and then they all ran. once again though, maggie wasnt there.

hobblinharry
Novice

Post by hobblinharry » October 26th, 2014, 10:20 pm

i had to skip the entire vote thing. i specifically avoided going into Hollywood because I heard how bugged it was so I took a break. Then I started back the other day well after the patch earlier this month. Its still bugged.

I walked around Hollywood, got Ma Brown her restaurant back, saw the puppy cleared the head shop, found out Manny had some chips stolen, a girl was kidnapped by Salt Thugs, found out Flo doesnt trust Swifty or Schwagg and that Heidi thinks Veronica has a lover.

So I talked to Veronica and the conversation wound down to 2 Ass checks neither I could pass. So I exited the convo but now Veronica has nothing to say to me. So I went to the other room in the dungeon and the trap on the door went off and killed the guard on the other side (lol?). Picked the lock and found the secret entrance to the sewers. Cleared the sewers and found the girl. Brought her back for a reward. veronica still wont talk and Heidi wont talk until I talk to Veronica. She also isnt concerned about her dead bodyguard. Go to Hotel California and clear it and found another entrance to the sewers.

So now im off to Griffith Park. I find Mannys chips. I bring a guy who wants to find his brother but honey badgers rip him apart along the way. I find out a coup is in the works. McDade promises me access to the radio tower if i help him so I do. Get the tower and the zeolite and I head back to Hollywood. Manny rewards me. I explore some more and find a mini sewar with prisoners. Swifty rushes in and I kill him. Cant free the slaves cause my demolish is too low to keep the doors from exploding which kills the prisoners when they go off.

Only guy I havent spoken to is Schwagg and he must be a slaver since Swifty was. Flo doesnt ask me about Swifty so I blow open the door to Schwaggs office and I kill him. Sure enough he had a slaver journal. Flo thanks me and says she will vote Heidi out (what vote?) I go back to Heidi and she thanks me for killing the slavers. Veronica still wont talk. One last pass through and I find pictures of Manny. I Give them to him and he thanks me. Veronica still wont talk. So I took my puppy to Sante Fe and now Im going to Seal Beach. The good news is that I was able to get the Microscope back from the doc in Rodia finally.

I dont know what I missed other than not having high enough Ass. I probably do now as I gaind a bunch of levels but Veronica still wont talk to me. The big bug seems to be with her. I even slept with all the subs/doms but that didnt help. Oh well. I wonder how it will affect my ending. Guess Ill find out in the next couple of days.

edit: Griffith Park played well enough but ill post about the one possible bug there. I couldnt free the penitents. I failed an Ass check with Maggie. after i put mcdade in power i was going to the radio but the paladins guarding the eye that I stole tured hostile on me on the way out. I killed all of them, the meson cannon, and the guards around the penitents. Went back inside and McDade was still cool with me, including the guard to the radio tower and all the guards at the tower. I guess the paladins were Mayweather loyals. The penitent brother of the honey badger lunch wont leave though. he just goes *whimper* youve killed us all. Correction, I killed everyone else. Dunno why the penitents wont leave.

Frosty
Initiate

Post by Frosty » October 27th, 2014, 12:02 am

It's worth mentioning that you can get the Redondo Beach location during the Hollywood Sewers.

You find two salt thugs outside of a destructible wall talking about trying to get in with explosives. After their conversation, they'll head toward the two containers nearby to check for explosives. If you previously looted the containers are remain out of their line of sight, you can hear them talk about a character name Bob. This will trigger a quest and put Redondo Beach on your world map.

themightyflip
Initiate

Post by themightyflip » November 7th, 2014, 4:39 pm

Not sure what I did here, I got Veronica in charge of Hollywood, Ascension in charge of the Bastion, went through the secret tunnel, killed everyone in the Bastion building, went outside, killed the meson cannon, and the gate guards, freed the slaves, then went back inside the Bastion and Veronica and Ascension were hostile...

Mallaca51
Explorer

Post by Mallaca51 » November 7th, 2014, 7:09 pm

You only need to kill shotgun mee inside. The mesan and consequences creed are the only 2 things you should have to kill.

PerfectWaist
Scholar

Post by PerfectWaist » November 8th, 2014, 1:58 pm

Just got there. Argh. This place is a mess. I just try to figure out how this place is meant to be played, not feeling a bit like I'm involved in the story.
Another crowd funded post-apocalyptic RPG to check out: Underrail