Hollywood walkthrough to peaceful ending - (almost) no bugs

Discussing the story & setting of Wasteland 2. Beware spoilers. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Atchodas
Scholar

Re: Hollywood walkthrough to peaceful ending - (almost) no b

Post by Atchodas » November 9th, 2014, 12:50 pm

well after patches Holywood is fine so please ... you are meant to Read the Dialogues there not to shoot shit
STOP INTRODUCING NEW BUGS TO THIS GAME THAT IS ALREADY VERY BUGGY

natzy
Acolyte

Post by natzy » November 11th, 2014, 12:17 am

So after patch 3 I tried to do Hollywood from scratch with the Broken Man quest. I have done everything right ( I hope ) but when McDade ask me to go to Bastion and reclaim it after the voting process everyone there is hostile. I go there using the secret tunnel , kill Jones, exit the building, kill the meson canon and enter the big compass room on the floor but nobody is there. I tried multiple reloads, exit map, enter again but with no success to trigger the peace. My log shows that I freed the penitents but I still need to cement the peace. Also Maggie spawns just at the Bastion gates whenever I return and is giving me xp every time :(
McDade also stays at the exit of Hollywood and when I try to talk he says I did a great job (bubble dialog) and that's it, Veronica on the other hand trigger the dialog interface but with no option to say something and she doesn't say nothing.
Look out below! Above! Sideways!

frozyx
Adventurer

Post by frozyx » November 11th, 2014, 1:01 am

Everyone being hostile is right iirc (b/c Jones set up a rebellion). But killing Jones should eventually trigger a cutscene and peace. I heared from others that you indeed might have to reenter the bastion itself. Iirc all i did was to kill Jones inside, head out to kill the meson cannon and step back in - and then it triggered.

Maybe thats input for the bug section ...

natzy
Acolyte

Post by natzy » November 11th, 2014, 1:04 am

I read now that I didn't do Swifty's lair so that may be the reason nobody is there :). Finally I did it :) I really forgot about that part.
Look out below! Above! Sideways!

Doctor Feh
Initiate

Post by Doctor Feh » November 13th, 2014, 10:19 pm

I'm having the exact same problem as natzy (McDade saying "Great job, Rangers", Veronica with no dialogue options), but I'd already cleared Swifty's lair. I killed Jones on the roof prior to arranging peace negotiations, and McDade gave me credit for that, but Griffith is still hostile. Do I have to kill everyone in Griffith to get something to move on? Schwag and Swifty are long dead, along with Heidi and the salt dealers. I really wanted to get the peaceful resolution but I'm not sure how to proceed right now. I've been back and forth to the Bastion several times.

EDIT: Fixed it by talking to the penitents. I had thought they were going to be released after the treaty was signed. Of course Maggie's missing so I guess I'll never get that part resolved.

holywhippet
Novice

Post by holywhippet » November 22nd, 2014, 3:16 pm

I managed to do it yesterday. It was kind of odd though. After taking out the meson cannon and the rebel leader I was stumped as to what to do next. Talking to Veronica or Malediction didn't seem to help and there were still a fair number of priests around that were hostile to me. So I went back through the tunnel and approached the Bastion from the other side. When I did that, the door which normally only opens on one side at a time opened on both sides. The priests were still flagged as being hostile at the entry way though.

So I went back through the tunnels and spoke to the penitents then Maggie and they all made a break for freedom. After that I went back inside and saw the treaty signed. After that all the priests were friendly again (well, they weren't trying to kill me).

Odd thing was, when I spoke to the brothers later on, Luis mentioned a lot of penitents were killed during the battle. I'm not sure if that is a glitch of if I missed something since none of them were killed during the battle.

WebShaman
Initiate

Post by WebShaman » November 24th, 2014, 9:28 am

My bug is really, really weird.

I followed the instructions (clockwise, etc) and got the votes for Veronica and did the cut-scene in the Chapel with McDade.

But the vote never took place! Veronica walks out of her room and just...disappears! Nowhere to be found!

And now Heidi is in the main hall and asks about Veronica...?? :shock:

Brooooken!

So, I went to the radio tower, and activated it *shrugs*

Kergan
Acolyte

Post by Kergan » November 24th, 2014, 10:50 am

WebShaman wrote: But the vote never took place! Veronica walks out of her room and just...disappears! Nowhere to be found!
Insofar as I recollect, the vote takes place in the chapel's main room, where you originally find the cult leader's wife. The cutscene doesn't immediately occur upon killing Jones, btw: you also need to do the extra stuff that was requested by Dale in the sewers, namely freeing the slaves, and destroying the salt lab. Once all that is done, enter the chapel's main room, and the peace cutscene will take place.

Stansfield
Explorer

Post by Stansfield » November 25th, 2014, 5:35 am

Love it when I find these things two months later. :roll: Bookmarked!

WebShaman
Initiate

Post by WebShaman » November 26th, 2014, 4:04 am

Well, I did find McDade before the gates in Hollywood to Los Felix, talked to him (take back the Bastion!) and killed everyone in the Bastion that was hostile, and up onto the mountain and killed all of them as well.

The Penitants I had freed earlier, and Maggie as well (she thanked me, and ran). That is also all solved in the Journal.

But even when I go into the Altar Room, I see a text that all the voters are there, McDade and Veronica, etc, that a table with writings is supposed to be there...but there is nothing!

I have exited, re-entered, talked to the boys in Los Felix and gotten that solved, been all through Hollywood again, the sewers, salt, slaves, etc are all done, I pressed the BIG RED BUTTON, killed Swaag, etc, got all the votes for Veronica...but nothing happens in the Altar room other than what I have posted.

I have tried talking to McDade again (he just thanks me) in Hollywood. Heidi wants me to open up the Bastion to be stormed when I talk to her ( :shock: ) and even if I agree, nothing happens.

Fazit: Bugged.

Ludo Lense
Initiate

Post by Ludo Lense » December 7th, 2014, 11:16 pm

Considering starting a second playthrough. I remember Hollywood being absolutely wrecked by bugs. Are there anymore left in patch 4 for this area? (I can live with bugs, but Hollywood felt downright unfinished).

PerfectWaist
Scholar

Post by PerfectWaist » December 8th, 2014, 3:18 am

Hollywood has interesting characters and storylines, but everything is way too scattered. In my opinion writing a location like that should follow a rule like this:
1) First you're given a clear instruction on the main problem you're supposed to fix.
2) Key persons should be first ones to meet when entering location.
3) Important locations for quests (for example the Slavers' Nest) should be revealed after you know what to look for.

Judging by these criteria, Rodia is propably the best designed place in the game. You're given mission to access the radio tower, but immediately on entering the location you get the idea what's going on and what's between you and your goal. And then you have true options on how you'd like to resolve the situation. Side quests are triggered in logical manner. People are sick -> Go ask doctor etc.

In Hollywood I get the constant why should I care feeling. I'm not staying with the God's militia, I just want to get to the Radio tower. The dialogue should proceed in a way that the Radio Tower would be the first thing you ask anyone at the Bastion and then they would make it clear that no one is allowed to access the tower, if they're not members of the church. Then you'd have to make a decision about who you want to please to join the church. If you don't want to join the church the Hollywood people should make it clear that they are willing to get rid of the Militia and then you'd be given the motive to help them out in order to get them help you. Now the Hollywood and Bastion quest lines seem fairly disconnected.

Bottom line: First design a sequence of events, then write characters and background that fits it.
Another crowd funded post-apocalyptic RPG to check out: Underrail

holywhippet
Novice

Post by holywhippet » December 8th, 2014, 10:38 am

I tend to agree. The main problem I see with Hollywood is that some of the steps for the main path are just about by accident. You need to find the slave operation without any clear directions where it is. You need to work out who the mystery man is with literally no clues at all. Heck, when I reloaded due to a bug I couldn't work out why I wasn't getting the dialog to identify him even though I knew it was him. Then I realized I have to right click on him to notice certain details.

peddroelm
Initiate

Re: Hollywood walkthrough to peaceful ending - (almost) no bugs

Post by peddroelm » January 31st, 2017, 9:41 pm

thread resurrect - used the OP to get the peaceful ending with 0 bugs or loose ends in the final game version.

Did kill Swag(spell) later as suggested and voted Veronica in with only 3 votes.

After killing Retribution Jones and his paladins near the end went out in the courtyard(which I had to clear earlier after I've hostiled White to get the evidence eye) and spoke with Lois - he took off with the penitents, I reported to Maggie who also took off. Went back inside - cut scene - peace is signed off - goodbye Hollywood. (leave trough Loz Feliz to say goodbye to the reunited brothers) .