"The Provost"

Discussing the story & setting of Wasteland 2. Beware spoilers. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

marceror
Adventurer

Re: "The Provost"

Post by marceror » October 14th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Dugan's robots seemed to enjoy playing with the Provost in my previous game. But for some reason he laid on the ground after that and stopped moving. I guess he was tired.

walczyk
Initiate

Post by walczyk » October 14th, 2014, 1:50 pm

SagaDC wrote:he toaster in Ag Center, for example, provides you with the Fake Blood Staff which you can trade for the real thing at another location.
Have you played this game since beta? You shouldn't be quoting this because that toaster was removed, since the real blood staff is completely OP. Check your facts, friend. Unless I'm mistaken and the toaster is hidden somewhere in the Ag Center, but I only recall there being one toaster.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 14th, 2014, 3:37 pm

You're quoting a post from April. You can't expect posts from early beta to be in line with the current release.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Nail
Initiate

Post by Nail » October 15th, 2014, 3:08 am

Maybe the radio message will help?

Wasteland 2 Patch 2 (58347) Release Notes
World Map: Added Provost voice over to his radio message.

marceror
Adventurer

Post by marceror » October 15th, 2014, 7:47 am

Drool wrote:You're quoting a post from April. You can't expect posts from early beta to be in line with the current release.
SagaDC should really go and update all of his old posts to reflect current information about the game. The fact that he hasn't is a tad irresponsible. :lol:

5Ta1k3r_ReWinD
Initiate

Post by 5Ta1k3r_ReWinD » October 18th, 2014, 3:26 pm

How to rid of him in LA?

The rail nomads I dragged it through all the battles, though it was not easy.
Here the enemies will kill him first bullet.

Someone found the trigger when he leaves again, or (that's unlikely) will do something?

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » October 20th, 2014, 10:07 pm

marceror wrote:
Drool wrote:You're quoting a post from April. You can't expect posts from early beta to be in line with the current release.
SagaDC should really go and update all of his old posts to reflect current information about the game. The fact that he hasn't is a tad irresponsible. :lol:
I'm a monster! D:

Ei Carumba
Explorer

Post by Ei Carumba » October 22nd, 2014, 9:46 am

Aroddo wrote:Bryan Fargo probably just put his grandfather in the game. Or father, forgot which.
He mentioned in an interview that one of those was an old fashioned fire-and-brimstone preacher.

In other words, the Provost is irrelevant.
If that's the case, not to Bryan he isn't.

Has anyone else heard the gong when you shoot him? He definitely does something, apart from die that is.

b0rsuk
Scholar

Post by b0rsuk » October 23rd, 2014, 4:18 pm

The Provost carries an 'owl of Minerva'.

In Canyon of the Titan, there's a safe which has an owl stenciled on it if you right click for description. The safe is close to the first entry point, behind a locked fence gate.

ClashFan
Explorer

Post by ClashFan » October 27th, 2014, 5:15 pm

b0rsuk wrote:The Provost carries an 'owl of Minerva'.

In Canyon of the Titan, there's a safe which has an owl stenciled on it if you right click for description. The safe is close to the first entry point, behind a locked fence gate.
Yeah, but I saw no way to open that safe other than safecracking. My girl has 8 at this time, and she opened it right up. Some very good loot.

Ei Carumba
Explorer

Post by Ei Carumba » October 27th, 2014, 8:15 pm

b0rsuk wrote:The Provost carries an 'owl of Minerva'.

That's not what the coins is for. If it's the only coin in the game then I found out tonight where it goes.

EDIT.. although I didn't have the coin to test it. Based on the text accompanying the thing I found, the owl part seems irrelevant,.. mind you the game is constantly saying things that have no resolution, so maybe that's misleading too, I wouldn't be surprised.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 28th, 2014, 2:38 pm

Ei Carumba wrote:If it's the only coin in the game then I found out tonight where it goes.
I've got two, actually. The original Provost got killed by some random raider or something, and then I got a Provost clone/revenant/whatever in LA who also later got killed by some beastie.

And if you're talking about the fortune telling machine, I believe it just uses scrap.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Ei Carumba
Explorer

Post by Ei Carumba » October 28th, 2014, 3:08 pm

Drool wrote:
Ei Carumba wrote:If it's the only coin in the game then I found out tonight where it goes.
I've got two, actually. The original Provost got killed by some random raider or something, and then I got a Provost clone/revenant/whatever in LA who also later got killed by some beastie.

And if you're talking about the fortune telling machine, I believe it just uses scrap.
So scrap is coins now. :?

That's a disappointment.

SilverWalker
Initiate

Post by SilverWalker » November 16th, 2014, 3:50 am

Ethan ignsay aysay,"corrvmpitvr cor tenebrarvm. id aspicere ,sempre id aspicere , est via svperandi id aspice!"

this was on board when i was exciting noone land , cant translate it in google translator anyone help ? :D
i didnt see that anyone wrote about this so i am (: .

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » November 16th, 2014, 12:24 pm

SilverWalker wrote:Ethan ignsay aysay,"corrvmpitvr cor tenebrarvm. id aspicere ,sempre id aspicere , est via svperandi id aspice!"

this was on board when i was exciting noone land , cant translate it in google translator anyone help ? :D
i didnt see that anyone wrote about this so i am (: .
From this very thread:

"Darkness corrupt the mind. Respecting it, always respecting it, is the way to survive. Respect it!"
Alwa nasci korliri das.

SilverWalker
Initiate

Post by SilverWalker » November 18th, 2014, 3:45 pm

is it connected somehow ? i want too help becouse i am very interested , whos that guy ^^

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » November 19th, 2014, 7:58 am

Ei Carumba wrote:So scrap is coins now. :?

That's a disappointment.
I'm a bit late on the draw here (to the tune of about four weeks), but just to clarify, you use a "coin-shaped piece of scrap". So scrap is still apparently random pieces of scrap, you apparently just find a coin-shaped one to use on the fortune telling machine.

cbtlr
Initiate

Post by cbtlr » January 12th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Sorry to dig up an old thread, first time poster, but a good friend is a PHD in Latin so I ran this by him.

"SIC, LICET EOS IN CIRCVLVM BASILICORVM FORNICIVM STRVCTORUM INGREDI ET SVB DANTE FORNICE ACCEPI"

He said it was messy but it amounted to:

"Yes, it is permitted that they enter into the circle of the royal furnaces that haven been built and I accept them beneath the giving furnace."

He elaborated by saying "Fornix is the Latin word for furnace but it can also mean brothel, hence fornication."

This makes sense given that the Provost will react different depending on your religion.

Food for thought.

Drazule
Initiate

Post by Drazule » February 7th, 2015, 5:08 pm

Not to argue with a PhD in Latin, but "Dante" generally means "enduring" or "steadfast". I think "enduring" or "everlasting furnace" might be more appropriate than "giving furnace." I only became interested as my son's name is Dante, so I figured I'd put this here. Thanks for making sense of the Latin!

Jdub
Initiate

Post by Jdub » August 24th, 2015, 1:29 am

I thought this was funny. Some mysterious "provost" guy comes out of nowhere with an emblem of Minerva represented by an owl with eyes deep with forbidden knowledge. All he says are three latin phrases. As I was saw those three latin phrases, it caught my attention, because I remembered seeing them before.

Then it dawned on me.

Aside from this phrase coming from an ancient poem dating back to the B.C.E's, I had read a book a while back entitled "Proofs of a conspiracy against all the religions and Governments of Europe, carried on in the secret meetings of freemasons, illuminati and reading societies" written in 1798 by John Robinson, professor of Natural Philosophy and secretary to the royal society of Edinburgh.

This phrase appears in a section regarding the alleged publication of documentation about the order of the illuminati to the public. In a response given by Adam Weishaupt (the so called founder of the illuminati), his supposed statement, on page 75 of my copy of the book is as follows, "I did not bring deism into Bavaria more than into Rome. I found it here, in great vigor, more abounding than in any of the neighboring protestant states. I am proud to be known to the world as the founder of the Order of the Illuminati, and I repeat my wish to have for my epitaph,

hic situs est phaethon, currus auriga paterni,
Quem si non tenuit, magnis tamen excidit ausis."

You don't get more mysterious than the founder of a secret society.

What is more striking, is that the word provost in a historical sense means "the head of a Christian community." What the above mentioned book claims is that Adam Weishaupt taught to the entry level initiates that his idea of creating a so-called universal brotherhood in which men were not born into royalty or positions of power, but through their merits gained influence and power, was the true christianity without the shackles of superstition burdened onto the minds of men by royalty, through the usage of priests. Only by freeing mens minds from the shackles of religion and national loyalties could a person become cosmopolitan, or otherwise known as a citizen of the world. So in his own mind an through his claims, he considered himself the head (provost) of the true christian community without the shackles of superstition.

Now, whether or not there is some connection here, I do not know. I have not as of yet found a use for this individual in the game or a place to take him to fulfill a purpose. I only mention all of this because I have noticed many allusions to various tidbits of information like this throughout the game that are there but do not really serve any purpose. Such as the surgeon in ranger citadel who is looking for a cancer cure. In his dialogue when you first talk to him and ask him about a cure, he makes mention of prewar technologies to cure cancer that do not exist anymore, such as "laetrile". Laetrile in the real world is known as vitamin B-17, people swear it is a control for cancer but medical doctors say its a total joke and causes cyanide poisoning. Anyways, just some useless information for everyone!