"The Provost"

Discussing the story & setting of Wasteland 2. Beware spoilers. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Re: "The Provost"

Post by SagaDC » April 22nd, 2014, 12:16 pm

The fact that you find the Medal of Honor in a toaster seems to imply it will be important for SOMEthing down the line. In the latest patches, they've started stocking toasters with unique items, at least some of which serve a unique purpose. The toaster in Ag Center, for example, provides you with the Fake Blood Staff which you can trade for the real thing at another location, while the toaster at the Radio Tower gives you a can of spray paint that you can trade with another NPC for a weapon mod. Even the toaster at the Ranger Citadel contains toast, which is presumably just a joke item, but its still unique to that one container.

I think the only toaster that still gives generic loot is the one at the Robots! / Abandoned Railway location, and that may or may not be a "real" location in the final game.

The Tallest
Adventurer

Post by The Tallest » April 22nd, 2014, 5:31 pm

I had the Provost in tow in Rail Nomad's. He was with me until an encounter with the Rail Thieves and he was shot dead by a thief. I looted his pistol and Owl medallion.
I am a member of Macho Yintit's Society for Pantsless Landsharks.
David Ngo wrote: There are two kinds of people: sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep.

Shady figure
Initiate

Post by Shady figure » April 29th, 2014, 1:41 pm

Would it be possible that his is a high tier backer NPC? Cause it is a bit of a misfit so far (maybe we'll need the final game to really know what's what about this guy?).

The Tallest
Adventurer

Post by The Tallest » April 29th, 2014, 6:02 pm

Shady figure wrote:Would it be possible that his is a high tier backer NPC? Cause it is a bit of a misfit so far (maybe we'll need the final game to really know what's what about this guy?).
He was following me around for a while. He turned invisible but the enemies could see him. Then he disappeared. I'm not sure if he was killed or what.
David Ngo wrote: There are two kinds of people: sheep and sharks. Sharks are winners, and they don't look back because they have no necks. Necks are for sheep.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » April 29th, 2014, 9:37 pm

The Tallest wrote:
Shady figure wrote:Would it be possible that his is a high tier backer NPC? Cause it is a bit of a misfit so far (maybe we'll need the final game to really know what's what about this guy?).
He was following me around for a while. He turned invisible but the enemies could see him. Then he disappeared. I'm not sure if he was killed or what.
He was most likely killed, because he tends to spawn a good distance away from your party during combat encounters (although its hard to tell, since he's invisible). He also doesn't appear to heal between encounters. This means that he'll often end up getting prioritized by any enemies who spawn near him, so he'll inevitably be killed by either enemy attacks or friendly fire before too long.

Honestly, easier to kill him yourself, so you don't have to worry about missing the unique medal he drops. Although since his purpose hasn't (apparently) been implemented yet, I suppose it's not really a high priority to nab it.

wickermoon
Novice

Post by wickermoon » May 10th, 2014, 10:01 am

Just in case anyone's interested, if you bring the medallion to the Switchman he'll tell you that its origin is allegedly in Darwin.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » May 10th, 2014, 10:05 am

wickermoon wrote:Just in case anyone's interested, if you bring the medallion to the Switchman he'll tell you that its origin is allegedly in Darwin.
Oh? I don't think anyone has ever seen this before.

This theoretically opens a new potential avenue of exploration - namely, trying to get the Provost to follow you all the way to Darwin Village (which is actually conveniently close-by). Failing that, perhaps bringing both medals to Darwin will suffice. I suppose this might be related in some way to that plot-locked safe in the Darwin tunnels.

The Tallest
Adventurer

Post by The Tallest » May 12th, 2014, 9:55 am

wickermoon wrote:Just in case anyone's interested, if you bring the medallion to the Switchman he'll tell you that its origin is allegedly in Darwin.
Damn. I sold the medallion as scrap because I didn't think it had any bearing on it. Nice find though.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » May 22nd, 2014, 12:58 am

As of the latest patch, the Medal of Honor actually has an appropriate icon matching its description (five-pointed star with a man bearing a shield on it), very closely matching the real-life medal its named for. I've also noticed that The Provost no longer spouts out his previous dialogue, and instead now repeatedly calls my group "Infidelis" when ever he's talked to. I don't speak Latin, but I'm going to guess that more or less means "Infidels". :P

I also swung by Switchman's Antiques to chat with him, and got the same story that Wickermoon mentioned, with a few extra details. All told, Switchman expresses surprise that you have the medal, and states that he "just sold it a few weeks ago, to a man in a big hat". He states that the man who bought it asked about its origins, with Switchman responding that he had bought it years earlier from a woman who was "looking for her husband at Darwin Village." Since you find the medal in a grave (well, technically in a toaster in a grave), it's probably safe to assume that the man with the big hat is dead.

Still no concrete ties between The Provost and the Medal of Honor, though, beyond the loose similarities between the Medal and the "Medallion of Minerva" that The Provost carries.

Heading to Darwin Village now.

Gauldoth
Scholar

Post by Gauldoth » May 22nd, 2014, 6:24 pm

Actually switchman says "man with a big hat and a log book" so i think its safe to assume that he is talking about hell razor. Maybe the medal of honor has to do with his death?

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » May 22nd, 2014, 6:29 pm

Gauldoth wrote:Actually switchman says "man with a big hat and a log book" so i think its safe to assume that he is talking about hell razor. Maybe the medal of honor has to do with his death?
Ah, true. You know, now I'm thinking I need to find some time to head back to Darwin to ask the mutants about Hell Razor. Just need to find some time to do it, since it's all the way across the map from my current position. :P

Gauldoth
Scholar

Post by Gauldoth » May 22nd, 2014, 6:59 pm

i just went to darwin and the mutant leader doenst even talk to me lol, maybe i need to get some info in ranger citadel first? ill try that

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » May 22nd, 2014, 7:33 pm

Gauldoth wrote:i just went to darwin and the mutant leader doenst even talk to me lol, maybe i need to get some info in ranger citadel first? ill try that
Ah, yeah, the spokesperson for the mutants only talks to you once, after you disperse the cure. After that, she just gives you one-liners. Disappointing.

EDIT - It's a bit far-fetched, but there's a Fortune Teller's Booth in Damonta that spouts off random things ("Friends will become enemies!" "You will meet a dark stranger!" and so on). Clicking on it states that, "If you only had a coin, you could operate this machine". It could just be random descriptive text, or it could be an actual use for the Minerva Medallion that The Provost drops. Of course, by the time I got to Damonta, The Provost was long gone (dead in a random encounter, I suppose), and his Medallion lost. Ah well. Another thing to put on my 'Eventual To-Do' list.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » August 7th, 2014, 1:18 pm

And, once more, I resurrect this thread as new information comes to light.

Among the new additions to the Rail Nomad Camp is an archway leading into the "No Man's Land". Looking at this archway brings up the description of, "Ethay ignsay aysay" - which is pig latin for "The Signs Say" - followed by: "corrvmpitvr cor tenebrarvm. id aspicere, semper id aspicere, est via svperandi. id aspice!" Which I think is actual Latin. Since I don't actually speak Latin, though, I'm uncertain.

There's also a new keypad safe that's been added to Titan Valley which, when examined, mentions that it has a light etching of an owl on it. The first thing I thought of was the Owl of Minerva pendant that The Provost drops on death. I tried entering different combinations (M-I-N-E-R-V-A, P-R-O-V-O-S-T, and even 195 for the 'Alpha Theta Epsilon' on the medallion). None of them worked, so I finally just cracked it open with normal Safecracking (73% chance, even with 8 in Safecracking). Inside, I found a unique Trinket called the "Eye of Providence" (+1 Intelligence)

Eye of Providence: "A silver pendant, gleaming at the end of a silver chain, adorned with a design you've never seen before - a human eye inside a pyramid, resplendent in a sunburst."

Now, THAT symbol is, of course, the All Seeing Eye of God. It's all over the place in modern designs, but it's commonly associated with the Illuminati and the Freemasons. So, I guess that plays into the whole zany mystery of The Provost. Or it's just the Devs messing with us. ;)

GasMaskFan
Explorer

Post by GasMaskFan » August 7th, 2014, 1:26 pm

Oh, this thread exists

How about I provide answer for you guys?

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08 ... eam+RSS%29

Interview with Fargo. Basically its one of Illumanit references that exists to confuse players or something, read interview yourself I forgot what he exactly said, I read it few days ago :P

Here is the exact paragraph

"Another one is I put this other character in, it’s just this odd moment and I love reading people trying to figure it out, he’s named Probost. You’re playing the game, and all of a sudden somebody starts following you. He says nothing. He won’t speak to you, he’s just following you. You go into combat and he’ll actually get into combat with you and help you. Then he just goes away. Never a word. The conjecture about what it means is fantastic. And if you kill him for no reason, he drops an Owl of Minerva, which is an Illuminati thing. There are some other Illuminati references in LA, so was he related? I love those moments where it’s ‘what did it mean?’ I love the non-sequitur stuff. "

But please read interview anyway, it has interesting info
The gas mask enthusiast

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » August 7th, 2014, 1:33 pm

Aaah! Damn you, Fargo! ;)

Still, good to know. I hadn't seen that particular interview.

Decline
Acolyte

Post by Decline » August 9th, 2014, 1:41 pm

SagaDC wrote:And, once more, I resurrect this thread as new information comes to light.

Among the new additions to the Rail Nomad Camp is an archway leading into the "No Man's Land". Looking at this archway brings up the description of, "Ethay ignsay aysay" - which is pig latin for "The Signs Say" - followed by: "corrvmpitvr cor tenebrarvm. id aspicere, semper id aspicere, est via svperandi. id aspice!" Which I think is actual Latin. Since I don't actually speak Latin, though, I'm uncertain....
Ignoring the fact the interview just mentioned pretty much says it is nothing but to mess with us...Figured I would point out, that would seem to be a mishmash of italian and latin(?), with bad spelling. (unless that is just your spelling, as I haven't seen the sign yet lol)
Guessing "tenebrarvm" is actually tenebrarum which means darkness. Recognized it instantly because of Mater Tenebrarum, mother of darkness.

Pangaea
Acolyte

Post by Pangaea » August 10th, 2014, 3:39 am

SagaDC wrote:And, once more, I resurrect this thread as new information comes to light.

Among the new additions to the Rail Nomad Camp is an archway leading into the "No Man's Land". Looking at this archway brings up the description of, "Ethay ignsay aysay" - which is pig latin for "The Signs Say" - followed by: "corrvmpitvr cor tenebrarvm. id aspicere, semper id aspicere, est via svperandi. id aspice!" Which I think is actual Latin. Since I don't actually speak Latin, though, I'm uncertain.
I took a shot at translating it, and came up with:

The sign says:

"Darkness corrupt the mind. Respecting it, always respecting it, is the way to survive. Respect it!"

Or something like that. It's hard to guess the exact word and meaning they were going for, but yeah.

corrvmpitvr(spoil, rot, corrupt) cor(mind, soul) tenebrarvm (darkness). id(it) aspicere(behold,regard,respect), semper(always) id(it) aspicere(behold,regard,respect), est (is) via(road,way) svperandi(survive). id(it) aspice(behold,regard,respect)

Spc Yobgod
Initiate

Post by Spc Yobgod » September 4th, 2014, 12:15 am

A little proper background for those whose classic mythology is light... Phaeton is a cautionary tale of not outreaching your means, very similar to that of Icarus.

Phaeton was the son of Helios, the god of the sun, who drove his golden chariot pulled by flaming steeds across the sky each day. Like many Greek God-spawn, Phaeton had a human mother and doubted her story of his lineage. To prove things properly, she took him to meet his father in his halls of evening, where Helios confirmed the parentage and promised Phaeton any gift he could give. Phaeton asked to take Helios' place driving the chariot of the sun that day and Helios, while he tried to discourage this, had to keep his promise.

Short story shorter, Phaeton could not control the horses of the sun, the chariot went out of control and started setting the world on fire, and Zeus had to put a thunderbolt in him to get things under control and prevent Armageddon, thus ending the story of Phaeton.

As a tribute, "Phaeton" later became a term to refer to fast and dangerous (often sporty) carriages and automobiles.

When I first met the Provost it seemed like a reference to the Rail Nomad problem, where they failed to control the chariot (engine) and suffered the consequences... but the applicability to the entire Wasteland story is also too strong to ignore.

Tangaroa
Scholar

Post by Tangaroa » September 4th, 2014, 5:50 am

And here I was thinking it was a reference to Phaeton from Exo-squad ;)