"The Provost"

Discussing the story & setting of Wasteland 2. Beware spoilers. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Mack Daddy
Initiate

"The Provost"

Post by Mack Daddy » February 27th, 2014, 4:09 am

I've got this NPC named "The Provost" following me in the Rail Nomad Camp. He was originally speaking Latin but now refuses to say anything else. I killed him to take a look at his inventory, he was holding a medallion of owl or something like that? I looked up "provost" and it appears to be what we refer to in my country (Australia) as a Deputy Vice-Chancellor of a higher education institution.

I have no idea why he's following me, or if I missed something. Seems as if he's from some kind of creepy cult school or something. Just wondering if anyone knew what he is?

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Re: "The Provost"

Post by SagaDC » February 27th, 2014, 4:27 am

This should probably be over in the 'Story' thread, but no big deal.

Personally, he did kind of catch my attention. I let him follow me around for a long while, mostly just to see if he would actually do anything or react to anything that I did. I killed him once just to see his inventory, but then reloaded my last quick-save and left him alone.

One thing that I've been meaning to do, but just haven't gotten around to, is to transcribe his dialogue and translate it. He has three lines, all of them in Latin, and at the moment I have no idea what he was trying to say.

Honestly, a part of me wants to just assume he's part of some kind of inside joke. Maybe a reference to a conspiracy movie/book like National Treasure or The Davinci Code? Or maybe he's related to the rather silly "Verchitin Armor" gag, since you find him relatively close to where you hear the broadcast about it.

Crosmando
Supreme Jerk

Post by Crosmando » February 27th, 2014, 5:02 am

Yeah I saw him and killed him too, was carrying a Glock and a Medallion of Minerva I believe it was.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

Mack Daddy
Initiate

Post by Mack Daddy » February 27th, 2014, 6:16 am

Yeah that's the one - I did the same (killed and reloaded).

I transcribed the Latin that I managed to copy down. I may have read it incorrectly since some of it makes no sense.

"Hic situs est Phaeton, currus auriga paterni..."
Here lies Phaeton, the car driver of his father's ...

"Quem si non tenuit, magnis tamen excidit ausis."
Yet if he did not hold, forced, however, she has hewn out check them.

"Homo est deus"
Man is God/The man is a God.

randir14
Explorer

Post by randir14 » February 27th, 2014, 9:33 pm

Must be some kind of secret because Fargo refuses to answer:
https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/4 ... 1412885504

Valar_Omega
Scholar

Post by Valar_Omega » February 28th, 2014, 12:39 am

Mack Daddy wrote:Yeah that's the one - I did the same (killed and reloaded).

I transcribed the Latin that I managed to copy down. I may have read it incorrectly since some of it makes no sense.

"Hic situs est Phaeton, currus auriga paterni..."
Here lies Phaeton, the car driver of his father's ...

"Quem si non tenuit, magnis tamen excidit ausis."
Yet if he did not hold, forced, however, she has hewn out check them.

"Homo est deus"
The first and second line go together, from the Metamorphoses a narrative poem from 8 C.E., and is the eptih on Phaeton's Tome.
" Hic situs est Phaeton, currus auriga paterni,
Quem si non tenuit, magnis tamen excidit ausis."- Ovid.

a few translation

"Here lies Phaeton, the driver of his father's chariot, which if he failed to manage, yet he fell in a great undertaking.

"Phaeton is buried here, the driver of his father's chariot,
but even if he hadn't driven it, he still died with great achievements"

"Here Phaethon lies who in the sun-god's chariot fared.
And though greatly he failed, more greatly he dared"

The bit about his father chariot should be put into context, Phaeton is the son of Helios.

"Homo est deus"

Is easily yet harder, the translation is easy, Man is god can work. But what it is referring to it trickier, Looking around a bit it pops up a bit in christen writings from the middle ages such as the Summa Theologiae by Thomas Aquinas but that seems unlikely. Not sure the reference being made, if there is one.

As for having a medallion of Mineva, this could be another reference to Metamorphoses. Mineva is the rome goddess of wisdom, their Athena to put it simple.

the name Provost could be another reference to Christianity, the man right below the abbot of a Benedictine monastery. curiouser and curiouser, maybe a hybrid post nuke faith.Or the ties are not to Christianity as much as middle religious life, monk life to be exact( Aquinas was a Benedictine, or was connected to them). Still the Catholic church is not know as Roman for nothing, I like the hybrid religious idea.

Well make of that what you will. Anything else about this guy?
"I will not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
I will face my fear.
I will let it pass through me.
Where the fear has gone,
there shall be nothing.
Only I will remain." --Dune by Frank Herbert

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » February 28th, 2014, 1:15 am

The Provost also carries a unique item, called the "Owl of Minerva". It has a unique appearance, and its description reads as follows: "An owl, eyes deep with wisdom and forbidden knowledge, is carved into this small stone medallion. The Greek letters alpha, theta, and epsilon bestride the bird."

Valar_Omega
Scholar

Post by Valar_Omega » February 28th, 2014, 1:31 am

http://www.lydianmint.com/about_owl.xml

Wonder if it looks anything like that. Basically another reference to Minerva goddess of wisdom. Site also shows what the letters stand for "The letters 'AOE'--or more precisely, "Alpha Theta Epsilon" or "Athe"--form an abbreviation of "Athens". " The line about forbidden knowledge s interesting, but not much can be said yet other than this looks like a cult in game. Or a red herring to have some fun with people who play beta...I am going with cult.

Now I want to see if there are any other possible connection to this group.
"I will not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
I will face my fear.
Where the fear has gone,
there shall be nothing.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » February 28th, 2014, 1:47 am

Valar_Omega wrote:http://www.lydianmint.com/about_owl.xml

Wonder if it looks anything like that. Basically another reference to Minerva goddess of wisdom. Site also shows what the letters stand for "The letters 'AOE'--or more precisely, "Alpha Theta Epsilon" or "Athe"--form an abbreviation of "Athens". " The line about forbidden knowledge s interesting, but not much can be said yet other than this looks like a cult in game. Or a red herring to have some fun with people who play beta...I am going with cult.

Now I want to see if there are any other possible connection to this group.
Oh, yes, that's actually almost exactly what the item icon looks like. The side with the owl, I mean.

Aside from those three quotes and the unique item he carries, he doesn't do much else. He seems to follow the player at a distance once he's encountered, but since he moves at a slow walking speed he can quickly fall behind or get caught on the scenery. I've actually had him follow me through the zone transition from the Topekan camp to the Atchinson camp, but I lost track of him after that. Once he's delivered his three lines of dialogue, he no longer responds or interacts with the player in any way, other than to slowly stalk him.

Onholyservicebound
Scholar

Post by Onholyservicebound » February 28th, 2014, 3:41 am

Any new info on this bloke? I just discovered him as well, the creeper..Not sure if I want to cap him or not, honestly I thought he was a hitman at first.. Following me with his handgun out saying shit in latin, he's pretty much begging to be shot.

Ronin73
Master

Post by Ronin73 » March 3rd, 2014, 1:35 pm

Not sure if it was a bug or not, but during a random encounter on the world map I fired a burst with an SMG and I saw a friendly fire hit and I assumed I had hit one of my own party, but it was the provost who was invisible for some bizarre reason. It gave a bleeding status effect so he bled for a bit after the combat ended.

I wonder if there are plans for this guy to follow the party all over the map?
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

Valar_Omega
Scholar

Post by Valar_Omega » March 3rd, 2014, 7:49 pm

Sounds like he is not suppose to follow the party, but a bug has him still there. Maybe he is not suppose to follow you into the wastes, or at least they did not code for what ever is suppose to happen yet. A bit hard to say.
"I will not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
I will face my fear.
Where the fear has gone,
there shall be nothing.

ClashFan
Explorer

Post by ClashFan » March 9th, 2014, 9:19 pm

My experience. Found him. Didn't notice at first that he was following my party. Later found him following me back up in Rail Nomads. He wouldn't go into rail cars that I explored...until he finally did!

He came in an abandoned car with a grenade and handaxe, just north of the bar and shop I left the car, and he stayed inside! I went back in to check and he was still there. I figured that that might be his "home."

After that, he was no longer following me. I soon quit then reloaded some hours later. He was still nowhere around, so I went back to the railcar to check. Not there.

I figured he was gone for good until I went (for the first time), to the Rail Thieves area. There he was, waiting for me!

A nod to Fallout New Vegas? A mysterious friend or foe to be further developed in a future update?? Perhaps a scout for those who live to the east of the radiation?

Will Phaeton's grave site be added to a future update? It is near a river like in the myth...

NoIdidnt
Acolyte

Post by NoIdidnt » March 10th, 2014, 11:27 am

I left rail nomads with him in tow and he followed all the way to destroyed ag center.
decided to go to citadel to turn in aces log book but he was gone when I got there.

also I noticed that most of the time when you change zones his dialog will reset.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » April 20th, 2014, 2:38 am

Resurrecting this post for good reason, since the new patch adds something to the mystery. As of the latest patch, you can now find a "Medal of Honor" item in the toaster hidden in the Rail Nomad Camp graveyard. It seems to serve no purpose at the moment, but the image used is identical to that of the "Owl of Minerva" carried by The Provost. Neither item can be actively used.

The description reads as follows: An antique five pointed star. Under the ribbon is a golden eagle and an image of a woman holding a shield. On the back, the word "Bellona" is engraved.

Minerva is the Roman goddess of Wisdom, while Bellona is the Roman goddess of War.

EDIT - The Provost now appears to follow you beyond the confines of the Rail Nomad Camp. I don't recall him doing that before, but perhaps he did and I didn't notice - or maybe he was killed by enemy fire. In my current game, he appears during random encounters, and acts as a friendly NPC who assists in combat (but not as a controllable PNPC).

EDIT 2 - And now he's invisible, which may explain why I didn't notice him following me outside of RNC before.

ClashFan
Explorer

Post by ClashFan » April 20th, 2014, 5:15 pm

SagaDC wrote:Resurrecting this post for good reason, since the new patch adds something to the mystery. As of the latest patch, you can now find a "Medal of Honor" item in the toaster hidden in the Rail Nomad Camp graveyard. It seems to serve no purpose at the moment, but the image used is identical to that of the "Owl of Minerva" carried by The Provost. Neither item can be actively used.

The description reads as follows: An antique five pointed star. Under the ribbon is a golden eagle and an image of a woman holding a shield. On the back, the word "Bellona" is engraved.

Minerva is the Roman goddess of Wisdom, while Bellona is the Roman goddess of War.

EDIT - The Provost now appears to follow you beyond the confines of the Rail Nomad Camp. I don't recall him doing that before, but perhaps he did and I didn't notice - or maybe he was killed by enemy fire. In my current game, he appears during random encounters, and acts as a friendly NPC who assists in combat (but not as a controllable PNPC).

EDIT 2 - And now he's invisible, which may explain why I didn't notice him following me outside of RNC before.
Sort of like the Mysterious Stranger from the Fallout series, and also like a reference to Caesar's Legions from Fallout: New Vegas. I haven't been to Rail Nomads, yet, in the new update. Be looking forward to this.

Arcanix
Master

Post by Arcanix » April 21st, 2014, 4:37 am

Mack Daddy wrote: "Homo est deus"
The Provost guy have the truth mixed up. Dont tell me hes the antichrist.

provost (ˈprɒvəst)

— n
1. an appointed person who superintends or presides
2. (in medieval times) an overseer, steward, or bailiff in a manor
3. obsolete: a prison warder
March 24th, 2014, 4:13 am
Drool wrote:WL2 being turn-based is bad enough.

Stuurminator
Scholar

Post by Stuurminator » April 21st, 2014, 4:53 pm

Valar_Omega wrote:The first and second line go together, from the Metamorphoses a narrative poem from 8 C.E., and is the eptih on Phaeton's Tome.
" Hic situs est Phaeton, currus auriga paterni,
Quem si non tenuit, magnis tamen excidit ausis."- Ovid.

a few translation

"Here lies Phaeton, the driver of his father's chariot, which if he failed to manage, yet he fell in a great undertaking.

"Phaeton is buried here, the driver of his father's chariot,
but even if he hadn't driven it, he still died with great achievements"

"Here Phaethon lies who in the sun-god's chariot fared.
And though greatly he failed, more greatly he dared"

The bit about his father chariot should be put into context, Phaeton is the son of Helios.
I don't know much of the context, but this sounds like a metaphor for the nuclear bomb.

If Phaeton is the son of Helios (a sun god), then driving "his father's chariot" would be akin to harnessing the power of the sun. Now, the sun works on nuclear fusion and nukes work on nuclear fission, but this is a small enough detail to overlook for the sake of a cool metaphor.

Thus, Phaeton would be man making use of nuclear power. The "And though greatly he failed, more greatly he dared" would seem to refer to man not being able to control nuclear power (read: nuclear armageddon), but attempting to do so out of ambition/hubris.

Valar_Omega
Scholar

Post by Valar_Omega » April 21st, 2014, 8:38 pm

SagaDC wrote:Resurrecting this post for good reason, since the new patch adds something to the mystery. As of the latest patch, you can now find a "Medal of Honor" item in the toaster hidden in the Rail Nomad Camp graveyard. It seems to serve no purpose at the moment, but the image used is identical to that of the "Owl of Minerva" carried by The Provost. Neither item can be actively used.

The image might be a placeholder, as for the description, it looks like a US Medal of Honor. The thing is though, the US medal of Honor has an image of Minerva, not Bellona(you can usually see the owl to know it is her). Not sure if it is just suppose to be a normal medal of honor or if this portents to more. Worth keep note of, especial since it has no use and was found in a toaster.
Stuurminator wrote: I don't know much of the context, but this sounds like a metaphor for the nuclear bomb.

If Phaeton is the son of Helios (a sun god), then driving "his father's chariot" would be akin to harnessing the power of the sun. Now, the sun works on nuclear fusion and nukes work on nuclear fission, but this is a small enough detail to overlook for the sake of a cool metaphor.

Thus, Phaeton would be man making use of nuclear power. The "And though greatly he failed, more greatly he dared" would seem to refer to man not being able to control nuclear power (read: nuclear armageddon), but attempting to do so out of ambition/hubris.
Hmm, I think you might be on to something here. It fits very well with the quotes given, even "Homo est deus" fits this train of thought. Man is God, the apocalypse was caused by man yet was historically something more ascribed to what a god would do. Might be a bit of a stretch for that quote, but I think it does fit with the over all metaphor idea you put forward.

Cult connection still alive, possible connection to one of the known cults even.

Only thing is the "Owl of Minerva" he carries would still be out of place. And why he is speaking in latin(really, why does latin always survive?).
"I will not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
I will face my fear.
Where the fear has gone,
there shall be nothing.

Arcanix
Master

Post by Arcanix » April 22nd, 2014, 11:35 am

Valar_Omega wrote:And why he is speaking in latin(really, why does latin always survive?).
Latin, in some ways are interpreted, by man, as a semi divine language. God does not need our languages, God talks to us through our hearts, minds and dreams. All we have to do is to quiet our minds and listen with our hearts. On the other side they dont have vocal cords, so, they use telepathy instead. How about that.

Man is not God, man is of God. God creates life out of love. Man creates destruction throguh ego out of hubris. The power to destroy is nothing compared to the power of creating.

The ego is the inner voice that tells you all you want to know about escaping judgemnt. Using fear for complience and for guidance on your personal quest to be God. Whatever kingdom you create on this earth you cant take with you into the other side. One day you will experience this.

Anyway.

Stuurminator, i like your idea.
March 24th, 2014, 4:13 am
Drool wrote:WL2 being turn-based is bad enough.