Highpool in WL1

Discussing the story & setting of Wasteland 2. Beware spoilers. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

User avatar
CaptainPatch
Grandmaster
Posts: 2806
Joined: March 31st, 2012, 12:38 am
Location: San Rafael, CA
Contact:

Highpool in WL1

Post by CaptainPatch » January 11th, 2014, 2:14 pm

It's pretty much scripted that the Rangers WILL end up killing the rabid dog, Rex. Thereafter, there most likely will be an encounter with the dog's owner, Bobby, who is understandably grief-stricken by how the Rangers "murdered" his dog. I already know that when the engagement triggers, you can simply (R)un the party past Bobby and no one gets injured. But what does that do for the Ranger's PR image? "Scared away by a little boy, armed with only a BB-gun!" But the only alternative is to actually engage, resulting in Bobby's death -- which is worse because then the PR image is "Four grown, heavily-armed men murder a young boy, just because he threatened them with a BB-gun!"

Where's the middle ground? Grab the kid, break his BB-gun, and put over somebody's knee and swat his bottom for being so stupid as to attack 4 men armed with real weapons? It seems like the whole Rex & Bobby encounter was meant to be just a damned if you do/damned if you don't proposition.
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

SagaDC
Global Moderator
Posts: 3478
Joined: May 2nd, 2012, 5:51 am

Re: Highpool in WL1

Post by SagaDC » January 11th, 2014, 2:20 pm

No argument there. Even the writer who scripted the encounter admitted it was a pretty harsh scenario, but apparently it set the bleak, unforgiving tone that they wanted - at least for that early part of the game. I would debate as to whether it fit alongside the alternating bouts of wackiness that followed, but that's something else entirely.

I did prefer the first implied 'canon' outcome, though. The early teasers implied that Rex had been killed, but that the disillusioned Billy had joined the Red Skorpion Militia as a result. When I reached Highpool in the beta and discovered his grave instead, I was a little disappointed.

User avatar
CaptainPatch
Grandmaster
Posts: 2806
Joined: March 31st, 2012, 12:38 am
Location: San Rafael, CA
Contact:

Re: Highpool in WL1

Post by CaptainPatch » January 11th, 2014, 3:48 pm

Anybody actually dig up his grave? I didn't because of the resident that was eyeballing me, and given that the Rangers already had a poor reputation in Highpool because of that... unpleasantness 15 years ago, I figured doing some grave robbing would be a Bad Idea. It would be interesting to discover that remains in the casket wasn't that of a 12-year-old boy, but rather those of a full-grown adult. (Died while working for the Red Skorpions.)
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

User avatar
Ronin73
Master
Posts: 1366
Joined: April 3rd, 2012, 5:35 pm

Re: Highpool in WL1

Post by Ronin73 » January 11th, 2014, 4:24 pm

The biggest problem I have is that besides killing a rabid dog, the fact that a girl named Jackie was saved and no one at Highpool seems to acknowledge that or even know of her existence.

Instead of trying to make an interesting story out of that, inXile seem to have corpsed her with no connection to Highpool whatsoever.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

User avatar
CaptainPatch
Grandmaster
Posts: 2806
Joined: March 31st, 2012, 12:38 am
Location: San Rafael, CA
Contact:

Re: Highpool in WL1

Post by CaptainPatch » January 11th, 2014, 4:31 pm

"Keeping tabs on Jackie is really getting to be a pain in the butt. Practically a full-time job, just trying to keep her from getting herself killed, what with all the stunts she pulls. No sense of mortality, that girl."

"I heard she took up with those Rangers after they rescued her from a cave-in down below."

"Is that where she got off to? I wasn't about to go down there. With the Rangers you say? Great; couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people. Did you hear what they did to Bobby and Rex? It wasn't bad enough that they killed a boy's dog, they had to follow that up by murdering the kid too, just because he sniped at them with a BB-gun. A BB-gun, fer Christsake."
Last edited by CaptainPatch on January 11th, 2014, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

User avatar
Ronin73
Master
Posts: 1366
Joined: April 3rd, 2012, 5:35 pm

Re: Highpool in WL1

Post by Ronin73 » January 11th, 2014, 8:54 pm

I guess that stuff was added in a later build or I missed it.

Complaint withdrawn.
The biggest failure in the recent past is this assumption that the audience is not smart.Too much effort is being spent making it dummy proof..all the clues are being held right in front of their nose.The exploration and journey is the reward

Brian Fargo

User avatar
CaptainPatch
Grandmaster
Posts: 2806
Joined: March 31st, 2012, 12:38 am
Location: San Rafael, CA
Contact:

Re: Highpool in WL1

Post by CaptainPatch » January 11th, 2014, 9:44 pm

Ronin73 wrote:I guess that stuff was added in a later build or I missed it.

Complaint withdrawn.
Oh, that wasn't any quoting from the game. That's just speculation of how it may have been handled in a hypothetical graphic novel.
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

User avatar
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5790
Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 6:42 pm

Re: Highpool in WL1

Post by Woolfe » January 12th, 2014, 3:57 pm

SagaDC wrote:I did prefer the first implied 'canon' outcome, though. The early teasers implied that Rex had been killed, but that the disillusioned Billy had joined the Red Skorpion Militia as a result. When I reached Highpool in the beta and discovered his grave instead, I was a little disappointed.
Agreed, I really was not impressed when I saw his grave, it felt cheap. I didn't kill him, I ran away from him.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

User avatar
CaptainPatch
Grandmaster
Posts: 2806
Joined: March 31st, 2012, 12:38 am
Location: San Rafael, CA
Contact:

Re: Highpool in WL1

Post by CaptainPatch » January 12th, 2014, 4:35 pm

There seems to be some significant assumptions put in place across the entire WL storyline. For example, it clearly assumes that it was Snake Vargas, Hell Razor, Angela Deth, the fourth pre-rolled whose name I forget, and Ace had been all in the party that took down Base Cochise. [As opposed to the 4 characters that related the Survival Guide's (Hint Book) foursome.] That probably is at odds with the vast majority WL players who chose to roll their own initial party. But I'm guessing that the large majority of players DID kill off Bobby, which would explain why Bobby ended up in a grave rather than as a still-living Angry Young Man, still looking to payback the Rangers for what transpired in his childhood.

Would have been interesting if Rex's grave was still identifiable near where the old cave entrance had been.
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9465
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: Highpool in WL1

Post by Drool » January 12th, 2014, 7:01 pm

Woolfe wrote:Agreed, I really was not impressed when I saw his grave, it felt cheap. I didn't kill him, I ran away from him.
And I once left Vargas to be incinerated in Cochise.

They have to assume certain things as canon. I mean, they also assume I saved Felicia's life and didn't accidentally blow her up. Assuming Bobby's death is pretty reasonable. Assuming the pre-built characters did Wasteland 1 was expected.

On the other hand, wiping out the majority of the land area with "dunno, they gone" and killing all the original NPCs, feels cheap.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

User avatar
Woolfe
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5790
Joined: March 22nd, 2012, 6:42 pm

Re: Highpool in WL1

Post by Woolfe » January 12th, 2014, 8:39 pm

Drool wrote:
Woolfe wrote:Agreed, I really was not impressed when I saw his grave, it felt cheap. I didn't kill him, I ran away from him.
And I once left Vargas to be incinerated in Cochise.

They have to assume certain things as canon. I mean, they also assume I saved Felicia's life and didn't accidentally blow her up. Assuming Bobby's death is pretty reasonable. Assuming the pre-built characters did Wasteland 1 was expected.

On the other hand, wiping out the majority of the land area with "dunno, they gone" and killing all the original NPCs, feels cheap.
No no... I know that... Sorry I wasn't clear enough. I meant it felt cheap when they just put a grave in, instead of having had him be a member/leader of the Red Skorpians.
I never killed him, so the idea of him having survived,(whether left for dead or in my case having not killed him) appealed greatly to me.
It's not too late. Make it Eight!

User avatar
Crosmando
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5127
Joined: January 3rd, 2013, 8:48 am

Re: Highpool in WL1

Post by Crosmando » January 12th, 2014, 9:10 pm

Wait, isn't the commander of the RSM a former Highpool'er who must have witnessed the murder as a child or something? I remember the first gameplay video, those faction vignettes before the gameplay and the RSM guy was referring to Rangers as dog-killing savages.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

User avatar
Wile
Adventurer
Posts: 527
Joined: April 9th, 2012, 1:40 am
Location: Finland

Re: Highpool in WL1

Post by Wile » January 13th, 2014, 3:47 am

Crosmando wrote:Wait, isn't the commander of the RSM a former Highpool'er who must have witnessed the murder as a child or something? I remember the first gameplay video, those faction vignettes before the gameplay and the RSM guy was referring to Rangers as dog-killing savages.
I always thought he was Bobby, how he was saying "Rangers are just the same dog-killing savages they were fifteen years ago". To me, that would indicate it was Bobby. I got to say I was little bit surprised, to find Bobby's grave in WL2. Bobby trying to take revenge on Rangers by forming RSM. Could be that it was from the first drafts from the story though, and was later scrapped.

User avatar
Crosmando
Supreme Jerk
Posts: 5127
Joined: January 3rd, 2013, 8:48 am

Re: Highpool in WL1

Post by Crosmando » January 13th, 2014, 3:51 am

I thought that at first too, could still be say Bobby's brother or just a kid who saw it, and is out for revenge by forming RSM.

EDIT: That said, if Bobby didn't die, then what reason would Highpool residents have to be still mad at the Rangers? I suppose there's that event if you run into the water/stream and your rangers slip over, some juvies appear and laugh at you, so you can kill them, so I guess they could've said that happened, and Bobby ran away, but they obviously haven't gone that route.
Matthias did nothing wrong!

User avatar
Mylolothian
Initiate
Posts: 14
Joined: April 16th, 2012, 9:56 pm

Re: Highpool in WL1

Post by Mylolothian » January 13th, 2014, 1:00 pm

Crosmando wrote: EDIT: That said, if Bobby didn't die, then what reason would Highpool residents have to be still mad at the Rangers? I suppose there's that event if you run into the water/stream and your rangers slip over, some juvies appear and laugh at you, so you can kill them, so I guess they could've said that happened, and Bobby ran away, but they obviously haven't gone that route.
If you have been inside the citadel, they have THE red Ryder's BBGun. and the story tells about how he came to save highpool, but was killed off..
which is what happens if you kill off all the juvies in highpool.... in fact, I think that was the only way to get the Red Ryder to appear.

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9465
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: Highpool in WL1

Post by Drool » January 13th, 2014, 6:24 pm

Which just blows giant plot holes in the story: if you kill the Red Ryder, Highpool turns into a lifeless dust bowl, with everyone dead, every building abandoned, and the water all dried up.

I thought they said they played the original.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Revolucas
Explorer
Posts: 384
Joined: June 17th, 2012, 5:44 pm

Re: Highpool in WL1

Post by Revolucas » January 13th, 2014, 6:30 pm

I have a theory but If I'm right I don't want to spoil the game. ;)

User avatar
Wile
Adventurer
Posts: 527
Joined: April 9th, 2012, 1:40 am
Location: Finland

Re: Highpool in WL1

Post by Wile » January 14th, 2014, 7:07 am

Crosmando wrote:I thought that at first too, could still be say Bobby's brother or just a kid who saw it, and is out for revenge by forming RSM.
But why would he be so upset about the dog in particular, not the murder of a child? Or did you mean everybody hated Bobby and didn't really give a shit about him or his untimely death? :D
Crosmando wrote: EDIT: That said, if Bobby didn't die, then what reason would Highpool residents have to be still mad at the Rangers? I suppose there's that event if you run into the water/stream and your rangers slip over, some juvies appear and laugh at you, so you can kill them, so I guess they could've said that happened, and Bobby ran away, but they obviously haven't gone that route.
Well, on one of those radio calls you get from Highpool, you hear someone saying "fuck you Vargas, Highpool always comes last" etc. To me that suggests, that Rangers haven't exactly payed enough attention to Highpools problems (Wreckers and stuff) lately, and thus the animosity. It's already established, that Vargas has been too careful on sending Rangers out there, so it very well might be that some distress calls have been outright disregarded as unimportant, or there haven't been any available Rangers to send due to more pressing matters.

User avatar
CaptainPatch
Grandmaster
Posts: 2806
Joined: March 31st, 2012, 12:38 am
Location: San Rafael, CA
Contact:

Re: Highpool in WL1

Post by CaptainPatch » January 14th, 2014, 9:50 am

I got the general feeling that the various communities seemed to think that by contracting the Rangers, it entitled them to have a Ranger permanently stationed there 24/7. But the reality is that the Rangers have a (self-appointed) obligation to patrol the entire Wasteland. The Ranger organization simply doesn't have the manpower to do both. So, not surprisingly, the disappointed communities contend that the deal was being broken by lack of Ranger fulfillment.
"If you don't know what is worth dying for, Life isn't worth living."

"Choose wisely."

User avatar
Drool
Forum Moderator
Posts: 9465
Joined: March 17th, 2012, 9:58 pm
Location: Under Tenebrosia, doing shots with Sceadu.

Re: Highpool in WL1

Post by Drool » January 14th, 2014, 8:52 pm

Wile wrote:But why would he be so upset about the dog in particular, not the murder of a child? Or did you mean everybody hated Bobby and didn't really give a shit about him or his untimely death? :D
Especially since the freaking mutt had rabies. And they, or at least the adults, knew it. The game (WL1) mentions a note about hydrophobia either on the note board or in the office.

Then again, maybe all the adults really did die trying to fight off raiders, so the only people left in Highpool were the kids.

And the store clerk.

And Old Doc Bob (who would presumably have known about Rex too).
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests