Explosives and the Heavy Weapons skill

Discussing the story & setting of Wasteland 2. Beware spoilers. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Carlton_Slayer
Initiate

Explosives and the Heavy Weapons skill

Post by Carlton_Slayer » May 30th, 2016, 6:17 am

Two quick questions- do explosives and rocket launchers get any benefit/boost from someone with the Heavy Weapons skill? I ask because in their descriptions they have Heavy Weapon included in them. And having just completed Salt Lake Park, are the chests behind the massive door worth getting shot at by the meson cannon?

sear
Developer

Re: Explosives and the Heavy Weapons skill

Post by sear » May 30th, 2016, 8:19 am

Explosives are their own thing and do flat damage - they aren't affected by Heavy Weapons. They're setup more or less as limited "get out of jail free cards" for tough encounters.

The Seal Beach loot cache has several high tier armor and weapon crates as I recall, so it's probably worth having the Meson Cannon bust it open. :)

Carlton_Slayer
Initiate

Post by Carlton_Slayer » May 31st, 2016, 11:40 am

Thanks

Carlton_Slayer
Initiate

Post by Carlton_Slayer » June 7th, 2016, 7:43 am

Trying to let the meson cannon break open the door at Salt Lake Park but Vax keeps killing it- even tried surrounding him but he still breaks away. May start with a single character and leave everyone else further behind, otherwise Vax may end up being a victim of 'friendly fire'...

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » June 7th, 2016, 5:35 pm

Vax follows one character - you can just have that one character break off and go wait at the other end of the map. I did it a bunch to keep Vax alive as long as possible.

Vax-related spoiler (highlight): There's a late-game ambush in which Vax cannot realistically be saved. You can't keep him alive forever.

Carlton_Slayer
Initiate

Post by Carlton_Slayer » June 8th, 2016, 6:03 am

Zombra wrote:Vax follows one character - you can just have that one character break off and go wait at the other end of the map. I did it a bunch to keep Vax alive as long as possible.

Vax-related spoiler (highlight): There's a late-game ambush in which Vax cannot realistically be saved. You can't keep him alive forever.
I did leave him down by the fence in front of the vendor's house along with all but Vulture's Cry (who I used to approach the ambush) but once the meson cannon targeted someone Vax charged ahead to face it. Fortunately he was far enough away that the cannon had a chance to fire before he killed it...

mac10
Novice

Post by mac10 » June 12th, 2016, 12:54 pm

I boxed Vax in by the safe right behind where you want the meson cannon to open the cache, once it targeted a couple of turns I let him out, just before the cannon hits, once the cache door is down I kill the cannon.

madmaxthc
Acolyte

Post by madmaxthc » June 12th, 2016, 5:43 pm

If you have a plasma hammer, you can just blow the doors open with that. I don't think you even need anybody specialized in blunt weapons.

Carlton_Slayer
Initiate

Post by Carlton_Slayer » June 12th, 2016, 8:16 pm

Having just gotten the Hot Potato while in Rodia (and not needing it), I wonder if I can use it on the next door like that I find?

madmaxthc
Acolyte

Post by madmaxthc » June 13th, 2016, 6:08 pm

Carlton_Slayer wrote:Having just gotten the Hot Potato while in Rodia (and not needing it), I wonder if I can use it on the next door like that I find?
Try and tell us ;)

eolsunder
Initiate

Post by eolsunder » July 23rd, 2017, 7:38 am

You can also simply heal the cannon with anyone with the mechanic skill, keeping its health at full so Vax can shoot it all he wants and not kill it. I did it this way was very easy. Just make sure not to "overcharge" vax so he gets 2 bursts instead of 3. 3 will total it, 2 won't. So Vax shoots, big deal you just mechanically heal the cannon until it fires and clears the door.

Highwayman667
Initiate

Post by Highwayman667 » October 5th, 2018, 3:27 pm

Hell no, I couldn't wait until Vax died in my playthrough. He's just too damn powerful when overclocked.