Roleplaying and Angela

Discussing the story & setting of Wasteland 2. Beware spoilers. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

Danest
Initiate

Roleplaying and Angela

Post by Danest » May 27th, 2016, 10:47 am

Angela SPoilers.

How do people roleplaying/taking the characters seriously handle Angela committing murder in broad daylight in the tavern in rail nomads? She finds the guy who knew ace, and shoots him dead. "Well she was angry." So? But anger isn't a legal justification for murdering people. I know it's a rough, violent world, but if my rangers are the law, the heroes of the wasteland, the hunters of murderers, etc... they can't be taken seriously as characters if they are completely non-reactive to her gunning a man down in public. But the only reaction is to then gun her down or act like nothing happened. If I'd seen a nameless npc get mad and gun a man down, and I'd been given a chance in the game to do something, I would have -- absolutely. Should I just shrug and go "it's just a game"? She is pretty useful in fights after all.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Re: Roleplaying and Angela

Post by Drool » May 27th, 2016, 11:57 am

Well, it helps to keep in mind that you're not in a coffee shop in Seattle. You're in a post-apocalyptic wasteland. It's more Hollywood Wild West or Mad Max rules than anything. In that kind of word, what Angie did was bad, but not anything extraordinary. Kind of a "he needed killin'" excuse. And, frankly, compared to what you'll see later, a little murder in hot blood is pretty minor.

That said, further spoilers, you wouldn't be ill-served by considering an Angie replacement.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

Danest
Initiate

Post by Danest » May 27th, 2016, 12:39 pm

Did I misread the dialogue? What I saw was "you, a civilian, did not die alongside ace, but rather ran for your life. Therefore, I'm going to kill you."
I gunned down Angela without hesitation. I thought it was part of the plot at first, that she'd gone mad dog. Any ranger who says "All civilians need to fight and die by my side or I'll murder them" is no keeper of justice, not a protector of the people, not even in a wasteland. "I lost my temper" is not an excuse for a protector of the people, not even in a wasteland.
Perhaps I should try playing from a more selfish, "Just needed a job" attitude toward joining the rangers. It doesn't seem to be built to be an extremely morally reactive game yet -- not sure it'll ever care if my rangers are selfish opportunists or noble protectors of the wasteland, perhaps it's not meant to be and I read too far into its intention.

Patient Roller
Scholar

Post by Patient Roller » May 27th, 2016, 3:13 pm

Angela wasn't capable of thinking rationally when it came to Ace, which is why Vargas didn't want her tagging along with you. It was an inevitability that she would go too far - what's Team Echo going to do to a superior officer at that point, other than shake heads and blame themselves for enabling it to happen in the first place?

Of course, the scenario would've been better if you could confront her, but this didn't feel like a particularly egregious example to me, as far as lacking player agency goes. (For the record, in my game Angela attacked the merchant with her wrench, she missed, and that was the end of it because the game's scripting hadn't taken that contingency into account at all)

Binary-Blues16
Novice

Post by Binary-Blues16 » May 30th, 2016, 4:02 pm

We went along like nothing happened. The whole Topekan vs Atchison clan war didn't go well for us either, so what's one more dead nobody in Rail Nomads Camo anyway?And a drunkard. Angela is a powerhouse and I'll give her another chance.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » May 30th, 2016, 6:08 pm

I think it's a fascinating decision point for the player. I completely support those who chose to shoot Angela, and I support those who didn't. I especially enjoy the fact that Angela's fate is not particularly linked to any missions, though I imagine her death would mean severe dialogue changes towards the end of Arizona.

Maybe it would have been nice to have an explicit conversation triggered, but for me it only took a little imagination to envision a harsh dialogue between my Rangers and her. After all, the PCs are supposed to be kind of blank slates where the player imagines exactly what they're saying moment to moment.

In the end, my response was to be shocked and unhappy with Angela, but ultimately to let her get away with murder. Life is much cheaper in Wasteland, and though Sammy Haas was innocent, avenging him wasn't worth sacrificing a good friend who'd saved my life many times over.

Danest
Initiate

Post by Danest » May 31st, 2016, 10:03 am

It was probably the extreme lack of reactivity to such a "major" event that surprised me, I guess -- a teammate committing murder on an angry impulse. I had literally no choice but to either open fire and gun her down, or literally act as if nothing had happened. The game does have moral reactions in it, Vulture's Cry for instance can't handle the death of innocent animals even, so the game does react to even animal murder. NPCs are still angry over bad things the rangers did in the first wasteland game! Which is why this moment stood out to me. Ultimately I tried again with a group who has more in common with the honey badger and were built better anyway... didn't' care when angela went berserk.

Carlton_Slayer
Initiate

Post by Carlton_Slayer » May 31st, 2016, 11:54 am

While the unfortunate gent was in no way responsible for Aces's death and might have survived if he had at least sent a message to Ranger Citadel about what happened, Angela was far too emotionally distraught to act properly- Echo Team's mission for her was an opportunity to exact revenge, nothing less. Now, if there had been a mention of the Black Ops ranger squad you meet when you first enter Ranger Citadel, it might have been easier to let her have her way- after first reminding her of the potential consequences...

madmaxthc
Acolyte

Post by madmaxthc » June 12th, 2016, 5:48 pm

Yeah, turns out Vargas was right to leave her out of the case...

As courtesy for a colleague, and considering her emotional status, I just kick her out of the team.

madmaxthc
Acolyte

Post by madmaxthc » June 12th, 2016, 5:53 pm

Patient Roller wrote: (For the record, in my game Angela attacked the merchant with her wrench, she missed, and that was the end of it because the game's scripting hadn't taken that contingency into account at all)
Hahahahahaha :lol:

I'm gonna try and let her in the bar with her bare fists my next playthrough. Angela getting mad and throwing one fist is a much better scenario. ;)

Binary-Blues16
Novice

Post by Binary-Blues16 » June 13th, 2016, 7:48 pm

The player is limited really. You cannot attempt to arrest her or report her to Vargas right away over the radio so you either dismiss her, kill her, or just ignore it.

dakkon
Initiate

Post by dakkon » September 30th, 2016, 3:27 pm

I've just reached this part of the story and I wonder if she has any more involvement in the story? I've only been to Highpool, AG Center and now RNC. I want to replace her with Scotchmo but I don't want to do it too early.

Zombra
Global Moderator

Post by Zombra » September 30th, 2016, 3:47 pm

dakkon wrote:I've just reached this part of the story and I wonder if she has any more involvement in the story? I've only been to Highpool, AG Center and now RNC. I want to replace her with Scotchmo but I don't want to do it too early.
There's a little more if she stays, but there's also something if you don't keep her. So yeah, just do what you wanna do.

Grohal
Master

Post by Grohal » October 3rd, 2016, 8:01 am

Well that was not the first innocent gunned down by Angela (and her former comrades). At least these days they only go for adults. :twisted:
Hell is no place, hell is a condition.

Stuurminator
Scholar

Post by Stuurminator » October 19th, 2016, 10:37 pm

Grohal wrote:Well that was not the first innocent gunned down by Angela (and her former comrades). At least these days they only go for adults. :twisted:
Hey, that baby drew their gun first.

Stargazer
Novice

Post by Stargazer » October 3rd, 2017, 7:11 pm

You know what's irony? I shot up some civvies on a lark in Highpool and she was all high and mighty about Desert Rangers not gunning down innocents etc etc yada yada yada. Then when she killed that dude... <rolleyes>.
On my next trip back to Ranger Citadel I dropped her from Echo. I imagine that I reported the incident to Vargas, who gave me a "I told you so" lecture, and maybe asked Angela to stay behind for the "investigation".

Geist1
Initiate

Post by Geist1 » April 9th, 2018, 7:07 pm

I let it slide, because right outside the bar room door was a bunch of murdered Topekans. All because their leader K-Bab didn't have time to talk to me after I stole his golden dildo. So I enforced the "Desert Ranger Peace Act." They shoulda gave me more options. All the roleplay went out the window for me when the dumb mother scratcher just kept repeating "Rangers, I have no time to talk. My golden dildo was stolen." And just proceeded to stand their saying it over and over again. It woulda just took a second for me to explain that I just wanted the trophy cat burglar, and it was all a big misunderstanding, and I over wrote my save to before I stole the golden dildo so I couldn't go back and undo the past. But here's your golden dildo back. Can we please talk? NOOOOOO. Couldn't do that. So I blew his freakin' head off and the Atchison chief too. Still Jessie calls Team Echo her Ranger heroes, so I got the outcome I cared about. They locked her up innocently and I blew away a whole town so that an innocent got set free. She ain't even trippin' that I blew her pops away. And little bitchy Ralphy didn't give 2 sh-ts about her when she was locked up. He just bitched that I was killing his buddies when I was attempting to free her. LOL! Now he's my pack mule, the little moron. Trying to man him up, but he ain't manning. He's bitching all the way through the game so far. Him and Takahashi. Takahashi supposed to be some honorable dude, but when we enter a clinic all he does is bitch, bitch, bitch. "All these people are sick? Ewww. Let's go." Very honorable Takahashi. Now he's my other pack mule. LOL!

Vampiresbane
Initiate

Post by Vampiresbane » May 29th, 2018, 2:15 pm

Geist, if you're like me and used all possible choices and somehow the game got bugged, you can actually type in a keyword to move the peaceful solution along. You'll have to restart the game so you can do it before you steal the golden spike, but it can be done.

I had done what I was supposed to, but maxed Kiss Ass and Smart Ass didn't work. So you can type in "Both" at one step to bypass the problem. It's a roleplay game anyways so I just "roleplayed" in my head.

See "https://wasteland.gamepedia.com/Find_a_ ... n_conflict" for more description (Titled "Alternative").