VAX, Destroyer of Systems

Discussing the story & setting of Wasteland 2. Beware spoilers. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

NeonBlade
Initiate

Re: VAX, Destroyer of Systems

Post by NeonBlade » December 23rd, 2015, 8:10 am

Took him all the way to L.A on Supreme Jerk where he died instantly from one shot by the CotC trying to retrieve Cows for a lady. Which is what I expected, seeing as I was being one or two shot for large extents until my team leveled up *more* and got decent armor.

kilobug
Adventurer

Post by kilobug » December 23rd, 2015, 8:45 am

NeonBlade wrote:Took him all the way to L.A on Supreme Jerk where he died instantly from one shot by the CotC trying to retrieve Cows for a lady. Which is what I expected, seeing as I was being one or two shot for large extents until my team leveled up *more* and got decent armor.
Yeah, same happened to me, he died exactly at the same place !

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » December 25th, 2015, 12:03 pm

Heh.

Was recording my trip to the Abandoned Railway, talking about what a meat grinder it could be and how awful the Slicer Dicers were. But I got Vax first and he annihilated two in one round.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

madmaxthc
Acolyte

Post by madmaxthc » December 27th, 2015, 10:11 pm

Yeah, Vax is great! Oveclock him and will smoke those slicer-decers :)

I usually loose him at the same point, i.e. when recovering the stolen cattle from the CotC. On my current play-thru it quickly got rid of the robots in the abandoned railway. Got out of there, and found some riders in a random encounter on my way to the canyon. Thought I would stop and do a quick clean-up... before I could do anything, a lobber destroyed Vax :?

Oh, well, such is life :roll:

macksting
Explorer

Post by macksting » December 27th, 2015, 10:14 pm

Eventually, I had to kill VAX in California so that he didn't take out the Meson Cannon before it "unlocked" a door. I felt bad about it.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » December 29th, 2015, 8:42 pm

macksting wrote:Eventually, I had to kill VAX in California so that he didn't take out the Meson Cannon before it "unlocked" a door. I felt bad about it.
Apparently it's no longer necessary to bait the Meson Cannons into opening the doors for you, at least in the DC version of the game. I've seen a few folks report that they can open the door by force-targeting it with powerful melee attacks, such as with the plasma hammer.

evaporate
Initiate

Post by evaporate » May 4th, 2016, 12:36 pm

Hell, I actually had Vax with me until the very end of the game. Definitely wasn't easy keeping him alive on SJ difficulty, but my party wasn't combat-optimized until level 30 or so, and his damage was invaluable. (I have a bad habit of prioritizing other skills over combat so I don't miss out on content.) He was probably responsible for about 70% of my party's damage at some point.

Mole204
Scholar

Post by Mole204 » May 4th, 2016, 10:26 pm

As a WL1 fan I definitely had to have Vax. But he was such a low hp character, especially for LA. Even though the speak to option was enabled, I had no way to just have him "stay and guard the base.", or otherwise just leave him in Santa Fe. Even though I looked into it, I couldn't just assign him to follow the radio operator instead of my players. :( My Vax eventually died in "that W-something town off to the right" during the ambush.

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » February 14th, 2017, 2:07 pm

Mole204 wrote:As a WL1 fan I definitely had to have Vax. But he was such a low hp character, especially for LA. Even though the speak to option was enabled, I had no way to just have him "stay and guard the base.", or otherwise just leave him in Santa Fe. Even though I looked into it, I couldn't just assign him to follow the radio operator instead of my players. :( My Vax eventually died in "that W-something town off to the right" during the ambush.
Indeed. VAX was okay until I brought it to LA. VAX died immediately in the first random encounter with some evolved. That was the first difficult battle I had in probably more than ten hours of in-game time as a result.

Stargazer
Novice

Post by Stargazer » October 3rd, 2017, 1:45 am

Sorry to necro this thread. How do I prevent Vax from targeting non-hostiles? I just did the big farm at The Prison (I set off the alarm in a safe and the foremen, and Jim Whassisname, turned hostile). Besides the RSM dudes, Vax also targeted the farm hands who are just innocent civilians.
While we're on this topic I have a couple of questions more:
1. My mech repair guy can only heal 5hp of Vax per repair. Is there any way to increase this amount?
2. What does overclock do, and how long does it last?

Thanks.

Jozape
Explorer

Post by Jozape » October 13th, 2017, 8:03 pm

Stargazer wrote:
October 3rd, 2017, 1:45 am
Sorry to necro this thread. How do I prevent Vax from targeting non-hostiles? I just did the big farm at The Prison (I set off the alarm in a safe and the foremen, and Jim Whassisname, turned hostile). Besides the RSM dudes, Vax also targeted the farm hands who are just innocent civilians.
While we're on this topic I have a couple of questions more:
1. My mech repair guy can only heal 5hp of Vax per repair. Is there any way to increase this amount?

Thanks.
Overclock makes it hit harder. Unfortunately it's an NPC that just follows you around so it can't really be controlled, unless you can stun it somehow. I can't remember if you can do this or not.

Geist1
Initiate

Post by Geist1 » April 9th, 2018, 6:46 pm

Even though my VAX could snipe enemies from the other side of the map, he kept running into enemy target range and got blasted to bits by just one shot from an enemy robot. So I picked up what was left of his face and threw it in my unique junk box, just for nostalgia.

Gillsing
Scholar

Post by Gillsing » November 11th, 2018, 7:55 am

A year later:
Stargazer wrote:
Sorry to necro this thread. How do I prevent Vax from targeting non-hostiles?
Use animal followers (not Aberforth though), the Night Terror, NPC recruits and regular Rangers to trap VAX in some place far enough from innocent civilians that they're not in range of that plasma SMG. For Jobe's farm I imagine that the fenced in path behind the barn would be an excellent place in which to keep VAX from being able to target any of the farm hands. At least if it's only two tiles wide. Then it would just require a Ranger and their cow (+1 Coordination!) on each side of VAX.
Stargazer wrote:
The amount repaired seem to be equal to the level of the skill, including the bonus from a trinket.
Stargazer wrote:
Overclocked, 300 seconds: +2 Action Points +15% Evasion +2 Damage (for Computer Science 9)
The practical effect is that it allows VAX to fire three bursts instead of just two.

EDIT: Only +1 Action Point for Computer Science 1 from a trinket, so not as good.