VAX, Destroyer of Systems

Discussing the story & setting of Wasteland 2. Beware spoilers. Please avoid spoilers in thread titles.

Moderator: Ranger Team Alpha

SagaDC
Global Moderator

VAX, Destroyer of Systems

Post by SagaDC » October 16th, 2015, 9:31 pm

Goodness, they really buffed VAX up in the DC version. I mean, seriously. I grabbed him earlier today, anticipating that I'd have to work hard to keep him alive. Then the nearby SlicerDicers descended upon me, and I prepared for a tough fight. Then VAX got his turn, and took out two of them in a single turn. He was inflicting 600+ damage per burst, with whatever energy weapon he's toting (though, granted, SlicerDicers are vulnerable to energy attacks).

Yikes!
Last edited by SagaDC on October 16th, 2015, 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

paultakeda
Forum Moderator

Re: VAX, Destroyer of Systems

Post by paultakeda » October 16th, 2015, 9:33 pm

So... more like the OG VAX of Wasteland 1, then?

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » October 16th, 2015, 9:36 pm

paultakeda wrote:So... more like the OG VAX of Wasteland 1, then?

To an extent. He is still very fragile, and only has 50 MAXCON. You can actually give him infinite healing with the "Mechanics" skill, so as long as he's not killed in a single hit, you'll be able to fix him back up. You can also use the "Computers" skill to temporarily give him the Overclocked buff.

EDIT - He seems to have a unique and very powerful energy weapon. It has a very short range and fires in four-shot bursts, and every individual shot appears to inflict about 60-70 damage. This damage appears to be more than doubled against conductive targets (he was doling out up to 150 per shot against the SlicerDicers, and at least once he inflicted 605 damage in a single burst).
Last edited by SagaDC on October 17th, 2015, 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

PangaeaTNO
Scholar

Post by PangaeaTNO » October 17th, 2015, 4:50 am

Is his range shorter than in the original game, meaning he's likely to run out in front of the group and get himself killed?

He also had a nasty habit of inflicting friendly fire, so if he can dosh out such immense damage, that might be a bit dangerous :o

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » October 17th, 2015, 6:17 am

PangaeaTNO wrote:Is his range shorter than in the original game, meaning he's likely to run out in front of the group and get himself killed?
Yes. His range seems to be just over that of a handgun, reaching maybe 10-12m.

EDIT - Whoops, nevermind. I just watched him take a shot at an enemy sniper from at least 20m away. So he still has a pretty considerable range. He just seems to have a tendency to get close to his foes before firing.
PangaeaTNO wrote:He also had a nasty habit of inflicting friendly fire, so if he can dosh out such immense damage, that might be a bit dangerous :o
His shorter range makes him much less likely to inflict friendly fire, because he'll generally move past you before firing at an enemy. I've had him tagging along with me through most of The Prison and a couple of random encounters, and thus far he hasn't hit me with any friendly fire.

Brother None
Developer

Post by Brother None » October 17th, 2015, 10:43 am

VAX is my favorite
Thomas Beekers
Creative Producer

Ironwithin
Initiate

Post by Ironwithin » October 17th, 2015, 10:53 am

VAX = awesome

He did turn my melee fighter into slag several times (literally) before I got wise and gave a little more thought to positioning but VAX usually annihilates two targets per combat round. It is a glorious sight to behold.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » October 17th, 2015, 11:13 am

I am a little disappointed he still doesn't get any special chatter back at Ranger HQ, but I suppose that's not really a surprise. He's basically a fun Easter Egg, and not an integral part of the story.

Drool
Forum Moderator

Post by Drool » October 17th, 2015, 12:30 pm

Glad that he's more like he was in the original. And I kind of like that he's a glass cannon. I'll be looking forward to finding him again.

Is there any blue folklore on him? Seems that would at least be appropriate.
Alwa nasci korliri das.

I neither work, nor speak, for inXile.

Not too late; make it eight!

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » October 17th, 2015, 1:02 pm

Not that I've seen. They did remove his grave back at Ranger Citadel, but I think they had already done that in the normal version of the game.

Honestly, I do wish they had at least given some sort of nod to him, story-wise. I mean, you can assume that he got messed up by the robots somehow, and suffered some sort of "factory reset". Given who the badguys are, I can imagine that he'd have been a pretty high priority target. Beyond that, though, it's all left up to the imagination.

-Archangel-
Adventurer

Post by -Archangel- » October 17th, 2015, 4:59 pm

How do I dismiss him? He kills everything and removes any semblance of balance and challenge. I just wanted him to help me murder the robots, not everything I run into.

jthomas
Novice

Post by jthomas » October 17th, 2015, 6:05 pm

-Archangel- wrote:How do I dismiss him? He kills everything and removes any semblance of balance and challenge. I just wanted him to help me murder the robots, not everything I run into.
"Accidental" friendly fire.

SagaDC
Global Moderator

Post by SagaDC » October 17th, 2015, 11:21 pm

-Archangel- wrote:How do I dismiss him? He kills everything and removes any semblance of balance and challenge. I just wanted him to help me murder the robots, not everything I run into.
He sticks with you until he dies. Since he only has 50 MAXCON, he'll eventually get himself killed. Many of the enemies by mid-game (such as grenadiers) will be able to kill him in a single hit.

-Archangel-
Adventurer

Post by -Archangel- » October 18th, 2015, 3:35 am

jthomas wrote:
"Accidental" friendly fire.
I guess this is what I will need to do. He is ruining my game atm.

Demendred
Initiate

Post by Demendred » October 22nd, 2015, 12:31 pm

VAX is the 5th unofficial ranger (Scotchmo being the 4rth) in any of my echo units.
Matthias is my savior. He will make me into a perfect union of man and machine. I shall be part of a race of synthetic warriors whom will destroy those butchers in Arizona, and help bring a clean and perfect future to all corners of the world.

ISOcRPG
Initiate

Post by ISOcRPG » October 22nd, 2015, 7:38 pm

A small warning: Vax can and will facestomp the Meson cannons at those places where you need them to open doors.

jpappas3
Scholar

Post by jpappas3 » October 28th, 2015, 9:25 pm

ISOcRPG wrote:A small warning: Vax can and will facestomp the Meson cannons at those places where you need them to open doors.

Except that the cannons no longer fire anyway, so yeah. They don't even target anymore.

prava
Initiate

Post by prava » October 31st, 2015, 6:23 pm

ISOcRPG wrote:A small warning: Vax can and will facestomp the Meson cannons at those places where you need them to open doors.
Plasma hammer breakes those doors no problem.

holywhippet
Novice

Post by holywhippet » November 2nd, 2015, 9:54 am

I had him die in the first battle after seeing him take out one of the enemies at the abandoned rail yard (or whatever it is called). I thought about reloading but I don't want the game to be twice as long due to trying to keep a fragile robot alive.

Queeg
Initiate

Post by Queeg » November 9th, 2015, 11:50 am

I took him all the way to Matthias' final battle only for him to turn on me. *sniff*
He was an asset sniping enemies at range 25 or so, one shotting mechs.